Any Alaska Info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Silver Bullet

the system (unfairly, imo) eliminates a lot of otherwise well-suited applicants who just don't happen to know an Alaska pilot
First-they do have a recruiting team that goes through apps. Believe it or not, they do hire a few that don't have a SB. But the best way to get on if you are lacking a SB is to meet Paul Majer at an Aviation conference and impress the he!! out of him. I actually have a good friend that got on this way.

Second-There may be a lot of "well-suited" applicants that don't get a call because of a lack of a SB, but I guarantee that isn't a problem for Alaska. They have more than enough "well-suited" applicants that do have a SB. So why go any further?

Before 9-11 Alaska lost several new hires to airlines such as Delta, United, and American. They went to this program to get people they knew and to stop the loss of guys bailing for the first "Global" that called. The guys they hire now have a known desire to want to stay. That's why the program works.

There are three majors hiring right now, as opposed to all of them this time last year. Alaska is going to be even pickier with who they hire.

Every airline has their own requirements. All of them are different. I don't have any airbus time, so even though I fly for a major, I don't stand a chance at JetBlue. That's just the way of the industry. I'm sorry you don't know anyone here, as I'm sure you're a fine pilot. My advice is to go to the job fairs that AK will be at, and get with friends of friends to find an AK pilot.

Good luck!

Good idea about the job fair; any idea of when Mr. Majer will next be attending one? A.I.R. is having one in ATL the weekend of July 12 and it appears someone from Alaska will be there; what about Mr. Majer?

Thanks for the info...

Last edited:
Someone from Alaska, please correct me if I am wrong - but I believe Alaska is only looking at those applicants who had applied for employment pre 9/11, whether they are silver bullets, Horizon pilots or those applicants met at conferences and job fairs. This is also stated on their website. It may not do much good to hike across the country to attend the job fair if you had not already made some sort of contact with them pre 9/11.

English said:
Someone from Alaska, please correct me if I am wrong - but I believe Alaska is only looking at those applicants who had applied for employment pre 9/11, whether they are silver bullets, Horizon pilots or those applicants met at conferences and job fairs. This is also stated on their website. It may not do much good to hike across the country to attend the job fair if you had not already made some sort of contact with them pre 9/11.

You're right; I'd like to see if we can get a clarification on whether they're showing up or not (AIR says they are), and whether they're going to be considering "new" applicants. I don't see why they'd bother to send someone to the seminar if they aren't in a recruiting mode.

Contact Before 9/11

According to the Chief pilot, if you were in the UPAS system before 9/11 (and downloaded by AS), that constitutes having contact.

from his letter to AS pilots:
"a.Pilot application (either UPAS or the Alaska Airlines’ application)
(1)If the applicant was in the UPAS system before 9/11, they should have a disk that they can update all of their information. They can then print the UPAS application and give that to the referring pilot to forward to the Base Chief Pilots
(2)If the applicant is not in the UPAS system, the Base Chief Pilots will have Alaska Airlines Applications that can be filled-out by the applicant and returned to the Base Chief Pilots. A PDF File will be located on the Chief Pilot’s Conference."

Bottom line here is that they are recruiting, primarily from a group that was interested in AS prior to 9/11, but they will accept the apps that they have since handed out via their base chief pilots.

The AirInc job fair may be the only opportunity you have to get face time. What's a job at Alaska worth?

Have you heard?

Has anyone who interviewed in May heard anything yet? Today is the 2 week mark for me. No news is good news? Or??????
Nervously awaiting some news, ANY news, positive news!

Job fair

Alaska has always attended Air Inc meetings, whether or not they were looking for anyone. They merely reported in what was going on.

This has for the most part always been a silver bullet airline as the numbers are never so high that they needed to do anything else.

Last I heard, they were not going to do anything of substance other than a class of people they had hired pre 9-11 and were looking to next year.

Then, you also have the Horizon factor. Things could have changed but that was the last heard from Jackie a month or more ago.

100 new hire pilots and 8 737NG deliveries is not much?

I am pretty excited to be part of the team.
:D

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back