• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

roughneck

From the SWAPA website:

Fellow Pilots,

Today I have issued a joint letter with Capt. Chuck Magill about Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headsets and the Aircraft Intercom System (ICS). As you will read in the letter, the Company has decided to purchase ANR headsets for pilots and be ready for distribution within the next 30 to 90 days. The Company also committed to modification of our fleet as soon as possible to allow the "hot mic" feature for our intercoms.
This decision is a very positive move for our pilot group which meets the objectives that we have actively pursued for the last 18 months — namely to protect our members' hearing as well as improve safety by reducing fatigue and by improving Air Traffic Control communications. In CEO Gary Kelly’s words, “It’s the right thing to do.” I agree completely.
As you will recall, the Company in January 2007 initiated discussions with SWAPA about the use of ANR/personal headsets in response to FAA inquiries. The discussions led to the Company making a major change to the FOM about ANR headsets and personal headset requirements. That revision had a significant impact on a number of our pilots who had purchased various headsets for personal use onboard the aircraft.
Over the last 18 months, we have continued to discuss headset issues with the Company and have requested several times for the Company to provide ANR headsets for our pilots and to activate the ICS. Capt. Magill, a dedicated “ear spike” pilot, was convinced to try an ANR headset and quickly became an advocate, recognizing the benefits that we have touted. His support and advocacy with senior management are to be commended. He became a believer in this technology and without his full support for these initiatives, we would still be in discussions. This is indeed the right decision.
It is important to note that this action is not part of Section 6 bargaining. In fact, we directed that any reference to headsets be removed from the negotiating discussions and proposal. This has been a slow, painstaking process full of frustrations for both members and our leadership. However, the end result is an enormous improvement for the health and safety of our pilot group.
There will be follow-up communication via a RBF next week providing details and protocol. I am pleased that we were able to resolve an issue that benefits our members in a cooperative spirit.
— SWAPA President Carl Kuwitzky

From the SWAPA website:

Fellow Pilots,

Today I have issued a joint letter with Capt. Chuck Magill about Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headsets and the Aircraft Intercom System (ICS). As you will read in the letter, the Company has decided to purchase ANR headsets for pilots and be ready for distribution within the next 30 to 90 days. The Company also committed to modification of our fleet as soon as possible to allow the "hot mic" feature for our intercoms.
This decision is a very positive move for our pilot group which meets the objectives that we have actively pursued for the last 18 months — namely to protect our members' hearing as well as improve safety by reducing fatigue and by improving Air Traffic Control communications. In CEO Gary Kelly’s words, “It’s the right thing to do.” I agree completely.
As you will recall, the Company in January 2007 initiated discussions with SWAPA about the use of ANR/personal headsets in response to FAA inquiries. The discussions led to the Company making a major change to the FOM about ANR headsets and personal headset requirements. That revision had a significant impact on a number of our pilots who had purchased various headsets for personal use onboard the aircraft.
Over the last 18 months, we have continued to discuss headset issues with the Company and have requested several times for the Company to provide ANR headsets for our pilots and to activate the ICS. Capt. Magill, a dedicated “ear spike” pilot, was convinced to try an ANR headset and quickly became an advocate, recognizing the benefits that we have touted. His support and advocacy with senior management are to be commended. He became a believer in this technology and without his full support for these initiatives, we would still be in discussions. This is indeed the right decision.
It is important to note that this action is not part of Section 6 bargaining. In fact, we directed that any reference to headsets be removed from the negotiating discussions and proposal. This has been a slow, painstaking process full of frustrations for both members and our leadership. However, the end result is an enormous improvement for the health and safety of our pilot group.
There will be follow-up communication via a RBF next week providing details and protocol. I am pleased that we were able to resolve an issue that benefits our members in a cooperative spirit.
— SWAPA President Carl Kuwitzky

Nice to see a company actually care about their pilots.
:beer:

Good job SWAPA, SWA and probably the fuel hedging department (a token of appreciation). Funny how things get done over there at ol' SWA.

You should have seen the firestorm that has been burning the past few months over the Bose headset issue. I'm bettin they will still ban the Bose headset and require the ANR headset. I'm happy with the companies decision though I'm wondering if they are trying to sweetin the pot for the contract negotiations. I'm sure those on the Prune are still bitchin.

Can't find it anywhere, what's an ANR? I can find Bose, david clark, and plane tronics. This thing might be fancy!

Go Buy A Headset!

If your hearing is sooooooo important to you go buy a headset. All the sickouts on 1 June & I bet not one headset purchased. Grow the hell up & take care of yourselves.

JV OUT!!!

Nobody deserves thanks on this one. It is like blaming us for age 65.

I know Johnny, a company doing something nice for an employee group maybe tough for some to understand. Not business as usual in the airline business today. Pour yourself a cool one and relax.

JV what is this sick out on June 1st you talk about? I havent heard a thing about one. Heck I worked the 1st.

Latest resources

Back