Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
July 24, 2008, 10:49PM
US Airways pilot dismissed over firing gun in jet cockpit

Some industry activists have suggested that the design of the gun's trigger lock and holster makes an accidental discharge possible. But Hawley said Thursday that wasn't a contributing factor.

It wasn't a contributing factor, but I'd bet the lock set up/ procedures will change. It will happen again if it isn't.

The D-bag was playing with his gun at 8000ft. Violation of sterile cockpit. Blatant violation of FARs that could have killed somebody, or everybody on the airplane. Period. That's why he's fired...no lameass excuses like the "poorly" designed holster. F' him.

Maybe he can get some of his Easthole buddies jobs at Wal-Mart when they finally kill of this diseased airline.

Eaglesview wrote: "As far as USAPA goes the westies just love having something to blame everything that goes wrong on the East. I am not USAir and am still an ALPA member but here is a news flash. When Santa turns out to be made up it's not USAPA's fault."

Eaglesview: I know you are not East, but you can’t imagine the damage USAPA is doing to the new US Airways or to the careers of 1800 West pilots who had the misfortune of being hitched to the downward spiral we are in. At least Santa inspires hope, the inspiration of giving, and a message of peace for all children (hopefully the grown-ups too!). With USCUMa all of us get bags of rocks and lumps of coal. If you can get with an East or West pilot, take a look at the crew news video just out on the company web-site (last week in CLT) of the UCRAPPER union VP who talks to the CEO like he was a school-boy. I’m no management fan, but this self-appointed pilot lets down all pilots when he disrespects a CEO in front of other pilots. He thinks he is negotiating in a pilot visit by the CEO? His grandstanding makes him look like an idiot in front of his peers. Huge Kudos to the East Pilot who stands up to the coal-giver union dude and then dresses him down in front of the entire crowd. The East had a chance for a new contract 18 months ago – didn’t want it. They had a chance to accept the Nic Award two years ago – didn’t want it. We know it ain’t all USAPAs fault, but the bottom line is that USAPA can’t deliver a new contract because they are all focused on the wrong issues. Captain’s authority was a waste of money. Now they are arguing with the CEO on the text used on the Company Web site on how the pilot’s were called in for training. Give me a break. Dude are being furloughed and every month that goes by is another month the East is stuck on LOA 93 wishing for pay parity -- why can’t they get pay parity … IT IS USAPAs fault. AWA went into the business partnership as an even partner. No more. The ship is sinking and will sink on USAPAs watch – they will bear a majority of the blame unless the East starts fixing the problem. We are in the minority out west and are done trying to help them see the error of their ways! I do feel bad for this East pilot. I don’t know all the circumstances but my gut feel is ALPA would have fought to keep his job if over nothing but principle and to educate the other FFDOs and to help protect the program. To bad it got switched to USAPA when he had the discharge.

It wasn't a contributing factor, but I'd bet the lock set up/ procedures will change. It will happen again if it isn't.

So "X" number of FFDO's have flown "X" number of flights everyday since we've had this holster and one moron decides to play with his gun at 8,000 feet and blows a hole in the side of the airplane and you think the procedures should change? Why do we always have to make changes to accommodate the lowest common denominator. The only change should have been not letting John Wayne into the program in the first place. I'm thinking better psych testing before people enter the program.

So "X" number of FFDO's have flown "X" number of flights everyday since we've had this holster and one moron decides to play with his gun at 8,000 feet and blows a hole in the side of the airplane and you think the procedures should change? Why do we always have to make changes to accommodate the lowest common denominator. The only change should have been not letting John Wayne into the program in the first place. I'm thinking better psych testing before people enter the program.

I fully agree he made a terrible mistake and should be fired.

The point was that they way the lock is set up isn't ideal. From the FFDO's I've talked to, whether you are in the air or on the ground, the way the gun is secured needs to be changed.

Oh yeah, and that lowest common denominator - he's carrying a gun....

So the holster requires a little common sense and adherence to SOP, and now we should change it because it's not 100% idiot-proof.... please!

So the holster requires a little common sense and adherence to SOP, and now we should change it because it's not 100% idiot-proof.... please!

I see your frustration. Many of the FFDO's want it changed.

Personally, I don't even care for the program, but if they want to do it, fine. I just don't want to get shot by someone mishandling a gun in the flight deck. I can't refuse to fly with someone just because they are an FFDO and not the sharpest tool in the shed.

That's how safety programs work. You don't have to wait for a more severe incident to address a problem.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you don't hold a CCW. Anyone that carries a gun regularly will tell you that this holster design leaves much to be desired. Anything going anywhere close to the trigger is a big no-no.

Latest resources

Back