• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another reporter "gets it"!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty, guys like you give FLAP's a bad name, and in this case, the AMR Human Resources Dept.

Last edited:
Dangerkitty said:
Yeah that is the truth. The fighter guys in my AA B-727 FE newhire class were totally clueless. One day when we were all in the sim I was in the left seat, a fighter guy was in the right seat and another fighter guy was on the panel. We were going throught the checklist and when the FE got to TCAS I repsonded "TA/RA"

They both looked at me like I had a lobster coming out of my ear.

One of them then stated, "What the hell does TA/RA mean?"

I was laughing so hard we had to take a break becuase I thought I was going to wet my pants.

I don't know anyone, fighter pilot or otherwise, who had trouble in FE training. Is it tough? "Totally clueless" is a broad statement...how was your training department? Did you put them in the sim without going over anything? Or were they clueless after 5 days of ground school? You want to start throwing out civ/mil aviation terms and see which one of us gets more of 'em right?

I bet it IS funny to watch new hire fighter pilots in the sim! I mean, in my interview group at FDX there were 5 guys. Three were fighter pilots and two were straight civilian. Only 3 guys in the group passed the sim on day one. I'm fortunate those 3 guys...the fighter pilots....got to be called "newhires." I guess the FDX sim instructor laughed a little that day, but it wasn't at us.

And to all the civ bros I fly with at FDX: I've got nothing but good things to say! The coolest Capt I've flown with on the Boeing is a 37 yr old, all civ, LCA type who was sharp as hell and taught me a lot. We only had 3 civ guys in my newhire class, but they were all my age and all cool. And guess what? We all did the freakin' exact same in training. I just get irritated when idiots spout off about fighter pilots when they don't know sh**.

What would be even funnier is watching RJ boy on a BFM sortie. Not only would he wet himself, he'd sh**t himself, puke all over himself, and quickly be rendered unconcious..................but his SA would be top notch.

PurpleChimp said:
What would be even funnier is watching RJ boy on a BFM sortie. Not only would he wet himself, he'd sh**t himself, puke all over himself, and quickly be rendered unconcious..................but his SA would be top notch.

Now THAT'S funny!

MAGNUM!! said:
And to all the civ bros I fly with at FDX: I've got nothing but good things to say! The coolest Capt I've flown with on the Boeing is a 37 yr old, all civ, LCA type who was sharp as hell and taught me a lot. We only had 3 civ guys in my newhire class, but they were all my age and all cool. And guess what? We all did the freakin' exact same in training. I just get irritated when idiots spout off about fighter pilots when they don't know sh**.

That's right Mav. You guys are the "best of the best".

But what happens when you "lose your edge"?

Spare us the chest-thumping. You sound worse that that 1,500 hour Delta numbnut.

radarlove said:

We quit the military and fly for the airlines.

Just kidding! Couldn't resist. Radarlove - you're a tool. And like I said after the second post on this thread (which was about the screw job that Delta pilots are getting right now) you're still probably hoping to get hired by DAL in a couple of weeks.

And as far as "TA/RA" goes, up until a year ago I wouldn't have known WTF that was either. My plane didn't get get that until recently and I was too busy to give a fu*k what it meant anyway. If I had more space I'd list the million and 1 acronyms the military uses and laugh at the dumb look on Dangerkitty's face. And even harder when he would then try to defend his ignorance.

radarlove said:
That's right Mav. You guys are the "best of the best".

Spare us the chest-thumping. You sound worse that that 1,500 hour Delta numbnut.

I'm not sure what you mean with those quotes. I guess you've seen Top Gun more than me...not surprised.

Is this post supposed to be funny? Well, I guess anyone that would almost pee his pants over a TA/RA comment would think it's funny.

Someone already pointed out that the dude in the article didn't have 1,500 hrs...it was a minimum number thrown out. Anyway, radar, you're starting to expose yourself as a wannabe. By all means keep it up.

MAGNUM!! said:
I don't know anyone, fighter pilot or otherwise, who had trouble in FE training. Is it tough? "Totally clueless" is a broad statement...how was your training department? Did you put them in the sim without going over anything? Or were they clueless after 5 days of ground school? You want to start throwing out civ/mil aviation terms and see which one of us gets more of 'em right?

I bet it IS funny to watch new hire fighter pilots in the sim! I mean, in my interview group at FDX there were 5 guys. Three were fighter pilots and two were straight civilian. Only 3 guys in the group passed the sim on day one. I'm fortunate those 3 guys...the fighter pilots....got to be called "newhires." I guess the FDX sim instructor laughed a little that day, but it wasn't at us.
Magnum, lighten up man.

Yes, all the Fighter guys made it through. However, one of the F-16 drivers busted his first ride but passed on the second.

They main thing that pissed me off about the fighter guys was that they were so cocky and full of themselves yet they didn't have a clue that they were so clueless.

What if I came to your fighter sqaudron and basically walked around the place acting like I owned it because I had been a Captain on a regional jet for a Part 121 carrier? Futhermore what if I acted like I knew more about fighters than you did and how the military operates because I flew as a Captain for a Part 121 carrier. You would probably think I was a stuck up a-hole? Right?

Well this is what I saw at American Airlines. The guys thought that since they flew fighters that they knew more about flying transport category jets than I did. After a few weeks in ground school and CPT's their attitude changed and they realized that they better listen to the lowly civilian pilot in the class because I actually knew what I was talking about. The one fighter guy who busted his ride actually apologized to me for his attitude and the rest of the guys behavior at the end of newhire training. Yes, they were that cocky and stuck up.

See where I am getting at? Just because you fly fighters doesn't make you God's gift to aviation especially on the flightdeck. Can fighter guys be trained? Yes, they can. Are the intelligent and competent yes they are (for the most part). But to come into newhire training acting like you already know it all is ridiculous and makes all fighter guys looks bad.

For what its worth the nicest guy in my class with the most humility was the Top Gun F-18 Driver. But you had to dig it out of him because he didn't like to talk about it all that much.

Last edited:
The whole mil vs. civ thing cracks me up, but I wish it would go away already. I was a bafoon in the sim initially after having trained the single seat way for so many years, but I admitted it then as I still do now on the occasion that my flying performance may be less than the perfection I seek.

As in all other aspects of life, if you feel the need to impress yourself and others with your skills or background then you are probably the average run of the mill tool. There are tools from every background, and some are the extreme variety.

I think my mil background comes in handy on the rare occasion that the person sitting next to me has shared a similar mil "upbringing"; it gives us some common ground to talk about, but only after all other avenues of conversation have been exhausted.

We all rely on very little of the experience we have gleaned over the years of flying in our daily routines, and in fact we forget much of it over the years. Anything else is usually easily solved with a bit of procedural knowledge sprinkled with some common sense and judgement. This is easily gleaned by most, in spite of whatever background they grew up in.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back