• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another reason to drive

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesnt some FAR somewhere mandate D-cell flashlights?

And on a lighter side of our incompetent friends at the TSA...

The TSA: The Fun Just Keeps Coming: We are sooo much more secure from terror, now that the TSA's on the scene. Let's catch up on all the latest...

On January 9 at DFW, a carry-on tested positive for a plastic explosive. The passenger simply took the bag and continued on into the terminal. The crack team of TSA screeners took a leisurely 32 minutes before they bothered to inform the police officer that was standing less than 15 feet away. Three terminals were shut down, but the passenger was never found.... A man easily got around security at LAX, and deposited himself in a lavatory on a Delta plane, only to be discovered by other passengers... A screener at Denver was arrested for stealing money out of at least one passenger's luggage... A New York TV station, in an investigative report, indicates the theft problem there may be very widespread... The investigation also found that of 40 screeners going through re-certification training, only 2 passed. But the other 38 were allowed to keep on the job. The TSA reportedly solved the problem by simply not doing any more testing. Yessir, that's what Jane Garvey, Cathal Flynn, and all your FAA AVSEC favorites did with Red Teams before 9/11. If the findings are unpleasant, just don't do anymore testing... We shouldn't be too concerned about theft or incompetence, however. That's just minor stuff. It's now open knowledge that the hiring and background check process for screeners let all manner of much worse human debris into the TSA and onto allegedly secure parts of our airports. Almost 2,000 of the initial screener hires had bogus backgrounds, including crimes and felonies. And that's just what the TSA is admitting to. Remember, this is not an organization whose management has earned merit badges for honesty. Reality: think ten times that number, at least in terms of potential botched background checks.... Remember the firm brought in by the TSA to do the screening and hiring? They were just a little over budget - like $600 million over. Mineta and Loy still claim the firm did a great job... In Philadelphia, the FSD has now been officially canned for funny hiring practices, including a relative... Another TSA supervisor has been suspended, allegedly for charging subordinates money to be considered for promotions... The TSA last month tried to muzzle public testimony regarding security failures at Rochester, New York last summer. Too late, it's already on the web, guys... In late October, the always entertaining if not particularly honest Admiral James Loy testified to congress that the TSA didn't have any severe turnover problems. He said something like ten percent. Last week the Homeland Security folks testified that it's more like 36% in some cases...

Earth to Congress: With these guys in control, it's now officially open season on our aviation system...

Cash-Strapped, But Still Party Animals: Forget sloppy work and management incompetence, the TSA does know how to party. This wonderful organization, which vapor-brained congressmen like James Oberstar claim is short-funded, spent a reported $200,000 on one awards dinner last November, held at the posh Washington Grand Hyatt Hotel. The keynote speaker, naturally, was Admiral Loy. This was about the same time that the TSA lavished $1.6 million in performance bonuses on top managers. Yessir, with performances like those outlined one paragraph up, one can see why Loy, et al would reward them...

Wonder what the "9/11 Commission" thinks about all this. Heck, for all we know, some of the members and their staff may have attended the gala. Bet they're party animals, too.

© 2004 The Boyd Group/ASRC, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Yeah, at least part 135 one of the crew memebers is supposed to have one. I guess if it is a prob the 135 operators could install flashlights in the flight deck.

Section 135.159: Equipment requirements: Carrying passengers under VFR at night or under VFR over-the-top conditions.
3) A flashlight having at least two size "D" cells or equivalent.

So does that mean freight dogs don't need one?

I never noticed that before.

Wankel

Several months ago I was deadheading, therefore in uniform. I have everything down to a science, but the metal detectors at my home airport are so sesitive I think my fillings set them off. So naturally I alarm. The polite TSA agent proceeds to run down the how and why of what just happened, while I'm in uniform obviously doing this for the very first time. I am directed to a screening area where I assume the position before another TSA agent politely explains to me the positon. Again while I am in uniform, obviously a rookie. One problem though, I still have my blazer on. No problem, I take it off and hand it to the agent sets it on the chair and proceeds to wand me. Big surprise, no alarms. The polite agent then HANDS ME BACK THE BLAZER WITHOUT CHECKING IT AND BIDS ME A GOOD DAY!!! So lesson learned, sew your submachine gun into your jacket lining and your good to go. :eek:

Latest resources

Back