Another PC-12 Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jolimon said:
The co-pilots log only the time they physically at the controls. (sole manipulator) They log it as PIC.

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

So when is subpart K coming out?

Hey Jolimon,

How are you enjoying the Piaggio? No more trips to the "farm"??

I suppose "Jolimon" wasn't too hard to figure out. I do miss the farm, but the Piaggio continues to amaze me. I have a little over 100 hours in it now and every flight it seems to out perform the last. We do BED to FLL in 3 hours and 2.5 back. We made it from Santa Ana to Farmingdale NY in 5:11 minutes of flying time. We did stop for catering of course and a little gas but we averaged about 460 the whole way. It's a cool plane and we have a lot of interesting owners.

Logging SIC Part 135

Back a few years ago when I was working for a Part 135 operator in Idaho, our management required that we fly our aircraft with two pilots..... Yep.... even in the B58.

I went to the FSDO and asked if there was a way to make this happen where the SIC was logging time even when they were not the sole manipulator if the controls. The way around that was to make a change to the compliance statement. i.e. "Billy Bob's Air Service shall operate all aircraft with two pilots, at the discretion of the Director of Operations" because this was in reference to a FAR (cant remember the number) and was more restrictive than the FED, it made the second pilot a required crewmember.

OK Start the FLAMES.

We had the entire FSDO split down the middle over this topic, finally a letter was sent by the FSDO Manager to legal in DC, and they came back in support of the required crewmember. And this really did happen... I kid you not.

The out for your company is that statement "at the discretion of the Director of Operation" that also allows the company to operate single pilot as long as they have the A/P check complete. Also all of our pilots got a PIC/SIC check even if they usually flew as PIC just incase the A/P had been MEL'ed.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

LB

And remember that props aren’t just for boats.

but...but what about.....

either i missed it or it has not appeared but theres a phrase that appears in the regulations...."in lieu of an autopilot..."

and as i understand it. you can log sic if the autopilot is broken...if it isnt...TS. I remember flying sic on a navajo for about 30 hours total.....couldnt log any of it. is was part 91 and the autopilot worked. but i never got to 'manipulate the controls'. only reason i was there was for the insurance company. they wanted someone there. so i got paid and just hung out. drank coffee. ate snacks. loaded baggage.....ohhh i hate that sampsonite guy!!!

Not in Part 91

Airpiraterob said:
either i missed it or it has not appeared but theres a phrase that appears in the regulations...."in lieu of an autopilot..."

The requirement for a second in command is contained in FAR 135.101 and 105. There is no provision for logging SIC time in a single pilot airplane under Part 91 regardless of autopilot (or any other equipment) condition.

Latest resources

Back