Another MD-11 down

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717 wrote: VERY challenging flying.

I agree with that. I flew for Gemini on the -10, and a little bit at Avient on the -10. I did fly one of my very last trips with the pilot who has been hospitalized, and flew with the LM and one of the mechanics. If you look at where this plane has been it gives you an idea of what the challenges are. It started in Miami, went somewhere in S. America, Africa, China and was destined to go to Kyrgystan. It might even have been to Europe or the middle eastNot places where this airline does the bulk of its business. Same was at Gemini. Quite often the question was raised: have you been here before? And the answer would be 3 times "No!" No idea where to park, who the handler is, what to expect. If lucky someone would have been there 10 years earlier, once.

RIP TO ALL THREE, Can the Gemini guys confirm that the Captain was SP, if it was we just lost one of the good guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
uba727

I flew the 10 there, I miss the flying and the crews for sure. It was hands down some of the best training I ever had. The DC-10, and MD-11 is a very capable airplane in capable hands. I think if someone gets behind the airplane it WILL eat you up.
How many guys went over to Avient after Gemini closed and was it all out of Challons?

Between 10 and 15 MD11 guys. They had 8 DC10 guys for almost a year but the last ones got laid off in August when they parked an aircraft. They moved to Liege since then

All I can say is what a tragady. Has enyone heard what may have caused the accident? In the days after the accident I heard a few rumors, thought some news would have come to light.

RIP

Just found out by another ex-Gemini pilot. The Gemini crews were very experienced on the MD11 as BJ was a Check Airman that typed me on the MD11 in 2001. I cannot tell you enough how much trust you have to instill on the loadmasters that the cargo is at the proper CG and properly secured.
Glad to hear that Bill made it but sorry to hear the fate of the other great fellows.
RM you will be missed with your crazy Hawaiian personality. RIP

Latest resources

Back