Another Island Air question???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjsurfer

Any word on if Island Air is still going to hire anyone through the end of the year. I'll have around 600-700 hrs in the CRJ by then and looking at going over.
Also, where do most pilots live in HI (with FO pay)? I am guessing there is a way to crack the code on living there cheaply??? Any info even if its not regarding these specific questions will help. Thanks!!

I don't know if they plan to hire any more this year.
Depends on how many leave to Aloha or Hawaiin.

But I gotta ask, if you have a job in the right seat of an RJ,
why do you want to give it up? From what you said I'm guesssing you haven't even flown commercially for more than a year. Are you bored already? I know 5000 furloughed pilots that would love to have your job. Stay were you are an get your ATP.
Also, I can tell you when you interview at the majors they look closely at you career progression and they will ask why you went from an FO on a jet to an FO on a smaller turbo-prop.

Hog,
The reason I am looking at leaving is because I have been on reserve for over a year and barely fly at all. I am lucky to get 10 hrs a month. Sitting around is not what I want to do...I want to work. Also, the PIC situation is really bleak considering the fact we have so many pilots who are waiting for upgrade and 0 attrition in the company. I know many people are facing the same thing right now, but if I can go to Island Air and actually fly and have a chance to upgrade in the not-to-distant future I would rather go there. Lastly, I really want to fly for Hawaiian or possibly Aloha and figure that would be a good way to meet people.
If you still think it's a bad idea please let me know, I don't want to screw myself.
Thanks for the reply

If your goal is Aloha or Hawaiian, Island Air is probably your best route other than the Hawaii ANG. Island Air mins are 1500TT, 500 ME. Good Luck

CRJSurf,

If your goal is to surf, yep, Island Air is the place - some of the world's best surf is right here and you never have to wear a wetsuit... You want to fly more often? Depends on what's going on at Aloha and Hawaiian... if they're hiring, you'll have a line in no time. As an FO, I was on reserve for 2 months before getting a line. If there's no hiring at Aloha or Hawaiian, you may be stuck on reserve for a while. You want to upgrade? I upgraded in 1 year... that's what you are looking at if the movement continues.
It comes and goes in cycles... but yeah, if you want to fly for Aloha or Hawaiian, coming to Island Air is probably your best bet.

Bottom line... I wouldn't trade my job at Island Air for any other regional in the country... you can't beat the quality of life (especially if you have family), if you are trying to finish up college - stick to flying mornings, live in a place where the winter/summer difference is only 3-5 degrees and beach weather year around, short time to upgrade, pilot group (yeah, we're small, and we bicker amongst each other, but yet I wouldn't trade it for anything)... so on and so forth...

Personally, I think I picked the perfect airline for my needs, my lifestyle, and where I want to live. Granted, it's not perfect, but.... it's what I wanted... and I'm living the dream. :)

CJRsurfer,

I'm not saying it is a bad idea. It depends on what your goals are. If you want to end up at Aloha or Hawaiian, it's a good idea because they like to hire Island Air pilots. If you want to move because you're currently on reserve, keep in mind in this biz everytime you change jobs you start at the bottom of the list and most likely are on reserve. Things in this biz change like the wind. Just two years ago everyone was hiring like crazy. At my company they were taking any new-hire with an ATP and making them a CA. Now there are thousands of pilots on the street and very little movement. But it will change. The best thing someone told me when I was starting out was, "the one thing you can count on in the airline industry is change."
Keep in mind, if you make a lateral move like going from one regional to another, they will ask you about it in an interview.
It won't be a negitive if you have a good answer for them.

Freight Dog, Hog,
Thank you very much for your input and advice, good to see there is a legitmate place someone can go for good advice.
I think I will wait it out here until the end of the year and see what kind of direction my company starts to go (hint-regional based in PHX)??? I really want to get out to the islands and hope that things work out in the indusrty so we can all be happy. Any new info on Island Air that pops up please let me know or just post something up and I'll be sure to catch it.
Thanks again--

Q & A

Freight Dog, or any IA pilot,

Do any Island Air Pilots live on the outer islands or is a commute impractical. Also, is it required to have the ATP written complete prior to applying or can it be done before interviewing. Year-long sun n' surf is sounding pretty good.

Yep, we have a couple people commuting from different islands although they have a crashpad in HNL.

ATP written is a requirement to get hired. I would recommend having your ATP though.

We're still interviewing...

Latest resources

Back