Another GA Blunder

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LJDRVR

Coming back to Houston from Monterey this morning around 1000am. I was monitoring guard, and got to listen to the Air Force and Gray Approach trying in vain to reach some hapless bozo squawking 1200 and penetrating the prohibited area at Crawford.

I can't believe some of the folks flying around. Those of us that love and participate in GA had better start policing our clueless peers, or we'll soon find it against the law to operate our aircraft.

Last edited:
While on a transcon earlier this year, I heard another just like yours.

It started out with the 121.5 warning call for traffic bearing 040 heading SW. The warnings went on and on until he was at 220 bearing still heading SW.

LJDRVR said:
Coming back to Houston from Monterey this morning around 1000am. I was monitoring gurad, and got to listen to the Air Force and Gray Approach trying in vain to reach some hapless bozo sqwauking 1200 and penetrating the prohibited area at Crawaford.

I can't believe some of the folks flying around. Those of us that love and participate in GA had better start policing our clueless peers, or we'll soon find it against the law to operate our aircraft.
better hit spell check next time before you start bashing other "bozo" pilots.

moving2vegas said:
better hit spell check next time before you start bashing other "bozo" pilots.

Yeah, mispelling some words in an internet post and blindly violating prohibited airpace while the AWACS guys are yelling at you is pretty much the same thing.

I wasn't bashing, I was simply stating that we involved in general aviation had better start taking our freedoms and privileges more seriously or we aren't going to have them anymore. Somebody signed this yahoo off on his last BFR. Did that person spend sufficient time covering this stuff or did they just assume that no discussion about post 9-11 PIC responsibilities and national security were in order? Did the PIC involved in the incursion make any irresponsible comments to his fellow aviators that would have led anybody to believe there was a situational awareness or procedural problem that somebody could have addressed with a tactful conversation?

In half a decade, I'd like to teach my kids to fly in the family Cub. I may not have that option because of idiots like the one yesterday. By all means though, let's open a dialouge about my typing/spelling abilities.

You're totally missing the point moving2vegas. Got anything constructive to add sir?

LJDRVR said:
You're totally missing the point moving2vegas. Got anything constructive to add sir?

This is the Internet. Nobody has had anything constructive to add to a discussion since late 1991.

I did my first 150 hours at KPWG in Waco. This is not an uncommon occurrence. I flew a lot during TFRs there and usually during a 2-hour flight; I would hear at least 3-4 different planes break it. I would leave my scanner on at my house in Waco a lot during TFR's and would usually hear at least 10 planes get popped a day. "The aircraft 14 miles on the 241 radial off the Waco VOR you are entering a restricted area, reverse course immediately or you may be fired upon" Gotta love it.

I acutually heard it myself one night. We were up on the 4th watching the fireworks and it was right before Waco tower closed for the night and then I hear. "Cessna N9528W this is the United States Secret service please divert to Waco Regional and land immedialty for pilot deviation." After the 3 of us in the plane cleaned our pants I responded "roger 28W" and the next thing I hear is a room full of TRACON people laughing their a$$'s off. I didnt find it that funny.

Last edited:
9GClub said:
Am I missing something here?

Maybe

They were warning a guy on 121.5. He never responded.

From listening, it sounded like he headed right over Crawford from NE to SW.

It sounded like garf12's quote, ""The aircraft 14 miles on the 241 radial off the Waco VOR you are entering a restricted area, reverse course immediately or you may be fired upon" Gotta love it."

Despite the threats, it sounded like the plane just bumbled through at a fairly low cruise speed. An ultralight could have been vectored for a successful intercept ;)

LJDRVR said:
Yeah, mispelling some words in an internet post and blindly violating prohibited airpace while the AWACS guys are yelling at you is pretty much the same thing.

I wasn't bashing, I was simply stating that we involved in general aviation had better start taking our freedoms and privileges more seriously or we aren't going to have them anymore. Somebody signed this yahoo off on his last BFR. Did that person spend sufficient time covering this stuff or did they just assume that no discussion about post 9-11 PIC responsibilities and national security were in order? Did the PIC involved in the incursion make any irresponsible comments to his fellow aviators that would have led anybody to believe there was a situational awareness or procedural problem that somebody could have addressed with a tactful conversation?

In half a decade, I'd like to teach my kids to fly in the family Cub. I may not have that option because of idiots like the one yesterday. By all means though, let's open a dialouge about my typing/spelling abilities.

You know, you are preaching like you've never done anything wrong in an airplane in your life. Is that the case? If so, you sir are the ONLY pilot that I know of that can make that claim. You are also preaching about something that has been addressed time and time again, by every regulatory agency and every pilots organization in the US. I think, by this point, it has been sufficiently addressed. Face it, there are just some boneheads out there that you cant get through to.

Last edited:
agpilot34 said:
You know, you are preaching like you've never done anything wrong in an airplane in your life. Is that the case? If so, you sir are the ONLY pilot that I know of that can make that claim. You are also preaching about something that has been addressed time and time again, by every regulatory agency and every pilots organization in the US. I think, by this point, it has been sufficiently addressed. Face it, there are just some boneheads out there that you cant get through to.

Of course I'm not saying I've never done anything wrong. I begin every departure briefing with "If you're flying with me, rule number one is I'm stupid, so keep me honest and don't believe anything I say."

I think we need to do more. As long as mistakes as large in scope like this continue to happen, we've got to try to police ourselves better.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, there are some boneheads out there, but we can't stop trying to get through to them. Our freedom may be forever altered if we don't. Thanks for the constructive comments, I have a lot of respect for anybody who earnes their living with stick and rudder that close to the ground.

Hey! Here's an idea! Make Prohibited/Restricted area awareness and avoidance a specific task on the Private Pilot PTS. What do you think?

Latest resources

Back