Another bird in the hand thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Magneto

I want to start off this thread by saying I am very grateful for the opportunities that have been given to me. I know that in this industry one should just be very thankful to at least have a flying job being as there are many pilots out on furlough.

That being said I have a situation that I am in which is very difficult for me. I am currently a CFI and interviewed with a 135 cargo carrier a couple of months ago and was given a class date this month. I was ecstatic that I was moving up in the world. At the same time I have always dreamed of flying in the 121 world. So I was thankful for the opportunity but at the same time I longed for the chance to fly for the airlines. I took the job because I didn't have any hope of getting on at an airline for a long time.

I was one week away from starting groundschool and out of the blue I get a call from an old friend who has been at Skywest for over 20 years and is now a DE for the CRJ. He calls me up and asks me if I want an interview with Skywest. Being from the west coast I have always dreamed of flying for Skywest but thought it a lofty goal that would require quite a bit more hours.

I pushed the class date back for the 135 job to give me time for the interview for Skywest since that is where I really want to be. Well the cargo job called back and they have a new class date for me in a couple of weeks. My friend from Skywest says that he won't be able to get my resume to Camielle Ence until the end of the month.

So do I take the class date at the cargo job and drop the interview, or do I drop the job and take the interview? I can't push the groundschool back anymore. Logic says take the job but I can't believe that I have an interview with Skywest with such little hours. What an opportunity.

Sorry this was so long but I thought some of you might have been in this same situation and would be willing to lend me some good advice.

Take the job

Take the job, you can always interview somewhere else later. It's better and easier to interview for a job if you already have one. At least you have a job coming to you. I was longing to leave my 135 job a year ago too so I've been in your spot dude and I know what it feels like.

Take the 135 job. Keep in touch with your buddy at and get an interview on a day off after you pass the ground school sometime in the future.

I'm glad to hear that Skywest is hiring but I wouldn't count on getting a class date any time soon. There are still quite a few pilots in the pool and they are being mixed with the UAL and ExecJet guys.

Thats my opinion.

Take the job, but don't marry it. Do your best to get to the Skywest interview and don't put your friend off. He wouldn't call you if he didn't think you had a shot at getting on.

Also, you will feel a little indebted to the 135 Op for "giving you a break," but go after the one with the best future.

As a former freight mutt myself I can guarantee you this, freight is a great place to start, but its a horrible place to get stuck.

Take the cargo job. Yes your buddy will not be able to get your resume in till the end of the month, but the interview will be much later. Remember that the holidays are coming so things will slow down a little. The memo that came out a few days ago said a planned 9 new hire classes for '04 here at SkyWest. By the time you get done with groundschool SkyWest will call you up to come in to interview.

Take the 135 job; however, be careful about getting locked in by a training agreement.

They never tell you this, but you can usually negotiate the training agreement.

Your friend is being kind in getting you the interview but you will be more likely to land the job once you get more experience. There is alot of competition out there right now, and unless he actually does the hiring you may be shooting yourself in the foot not taking the 135 job now, and ask your friend if he can help you again when your times are more competitive.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the advice this has been great.

I wanted to add just a couple of things. First, they do have a training agreement. Does anyone know when this type of an agreement is usually signed? I have the feeling that once I go to groundschool it's going to be really difficult to make it to an interview. Is there any way around that?

I wish I could have the best of both worlds. My friend said that the difference between getting hired right now and getting hired in a year could be about 800 pilots. Ouch. That really hurts the upgrade time. Thanks again.

Dude, you are going to be hating yourself if you dont take the 135 job now. Getting your resume walked in is just one small step to getting a job. Unless you are not needing the experience or money right away, I would take the 135 job. You have your whole life ahead of you, I assume what another 30+ years of good flying left before you turn 60? Take the 135 job, season up a bit, and you will appreciate Skywest that much more when the time comes. There is nothing wrong with flying freight, it gives you something to look back on. Once youre in the airlines, you are pretty much married to it for the rest of your career so consider this 135 job as something you will never get to experience again.

Well it sounds like a resounding yes to take the job. Am I crazy to think that I might be able to fit an interview in once I've passed groundschool?

TAKE THE FREIGHT JOB!!!! When I interviewed at Skywest in Jan they said I would be hired by March. I wasn't hired until October of 01. Waiting 9 months was tough, but worth it. Morale of the story you don't know when SkyWest will call, especially since weve agreed to offer jobs to XX number of furloughed UAL pilots for all the 70 seat RJ's.

I would guess you'll be there between 6-12 months and the company will get the return on your investment.

If you don't take the job........."RIGHT RUDDER, RIGHT RUDDER, MY AIRPLANE!"

Latest resources

Back