• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another bird in the hand thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a former freight mutt myself I can guarantee you this, freight is a great place to start, but its a horrible place to get stuck.

You can't START at some freight jobs. And not ALL freight jobs are horrible places to get stuck.

Take the job! Get some experience so when Skywest calls you won't get the question...I see you don't have any 135 or 121 time on your resume. What do you have to offer us? You can get the job but wouldn't it be better to answer questions about your current 135, ME job?

I noticed one thing you said. Your buddy said the difference in one year could be 800 numbers. I doubt very much that skywest will hire 800 pilots next year or any other year for that matter.

Also its great to get an interview but you still have to get the job on your own. (unless this guy does the hiring by himself).

Take the job and worry about skywest later. Then if you dont get that job you have some experience to offer any of the other carriers you may apply too.

Also, I had a friend once who told me, "if you get the first job you interview for i'll eat my hat" **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** if he wasn't right. I got the interview with my favorite commuter in my home town none the less. Guess what I didn't get it. Got interview with another company and can't believe my luck. My airline is now 3 times the airline the other one is. And they have pilots on furlough a worse contract, much poorer quality of life and the list goes on.

Your post said it " a bird in the hand"

Hmmm, before you follow everyone's advice here, tell us more about this cargo company. What equipment do they fly? Do they require a training contract? What's upgrade time if there is one? What's their reputation? Will you be flying a schedule or living off a pager flying 10 hour/month?

I fly cargo and I love it, but there are companies out there I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. Poor maintenance, schedules, management, etc.

Don't get into a situation where you are trapped by a company in case the SkyWest thing does happen. As far as having any allegiances to the company when SkyWest (or someone else) calls, don't sweat that. Most cargo outfits know you're there to build time and experience. In fact, where I work, vacation requests go to the top of the priority list if it's for a job interview. They want us to grow and move on. We've had guys here for less than a week before they bailed. Some left in the middle of training. It's the nature of the beast.

Unless the cargo outfit you're talking about is a sh!thole, go for it, keeping in mind the things I've mentioned you need to consider. Tell us more about this company so we can give you a more educated opinion.

Good luck.

Well, I would like to keep some anonyminity (try spelling that right) here for fear of the cargo company knowing who I am. I will answer your question though to get more help in my situation here.

They fly everything from props to jets. They say the upgrade time is 2 to 3 years to the jet. When I interviewed they asked me if I would at least give them a year but I'm not sure if that is a written contract or a handshake agreement. I can't imagine they would be so easy to let me go after a couple of months.

It is a set schedule, no pager. They have a great reputation as a cargo company, and if I was to fly cargo this would be a great place to be.

I think what I'm going to do is go to the groundschool and hope that I can break away for the interview. Any extra advice would be great though. Thanks again for the help.

I know your agonizing over this, but take the job dude!

Do you know how many RJ jobs there will be in the future, alot.

You need a job now, and thats what this place is giving.

You have an entire career ahead of you to make more good or bad decisions.

You cant have everything right when you want it.

I have flown both freight and been at a regional, both have there moments.

As long as the freight company will treat you right, you should gain alot of expereince and have a blast.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
I surely would take the 135 job without any hesitation or even a second thought, no brainer. You may "GET" the interview but you will still have to "GET" that job at that point. I would go 135, interview, then take the job at Skywest if you are offered it.

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back