Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NJ, you're absolutely correct.

However,,,

I wasn't speaking in terms of whether ATA would have been better off with an AirTran acquisition of the MDW flying, I was responding to Halin' Texas' comparison of the AirTran/Midwest acquisition to the SWA/ATA deal.

In other words, they're two completely different animals, and Midwest employees stand a LOT more to gain than the ATA pilots did with Southwest.

Hope that clears up any confusion my original post might have had in it.

c-ya :)

Gotcha. I agree. Ultimately, the AirTran/MidEx deal will greatly benefit both groups. In the short term, though, there will be significant heartburn. As I posted on our bitch-board, you know you have a fair merger when everybody is equally pissed off.

Flydaplane... Im sure many at AAI would love to see Alaska next, it makes the most sense out of all the merger rumors.. However, ALA doesn't need AAI, and there is no way in hell that AAI is gonna buy Alaska.. However, I would love it if Alaska decided to buy AAI...

i think Frontier makes sense. It's hard to merge LCC and non-LCC airlines. Even though Frontier and AAI have different fleet types, their corporate philosophy and their infrastructure is very compatible.

But then again, what the hell do I know.....

i think Frontier makes sense. It's hard to merge LCC and non-LCC airlines. Even though Frontier and AAI have different fleet types, their corporate philosophy and their infrastructure is very compatible.

But then again, what the hell do I know.....

I don't believe the fleet mix will make any difference. Airtran whipsawed Boeing and Airbus last time to get the sweetheart deal on the 717's and they will do it again when it's time to start replacing the 717's. So, when you eliminate the fleet mix argument an Airtran/Frontier merger makes perfect sense. But since Joe and Bob have not included me in the strategic planning for the company I don't know much either!

gt1900, just wonderin? Why is there "no way in hell" that AAI is gonna buy Alaska. Is your statement insinuating that AAI is not interested in aquiring Alaska. If, on the other hand you are stating that little old AAI can't afford Alaska, then I think you may not be properly schooled in the first two rules of business.

1. Everything is for sale

2. never use your own money.

Look at HP and US. HP got the money from citibank and airbus. Look at US and DL. Again US got the money from citibank and airbus. if it is a sound business plan and you can get enough financing, you yourself could buy alaska, and AAI and frontier and whoever else. The point you should be making is how much money will the current management of Alaska, or AAI or midwest or any other airline/company be willing to take to step down as ceo, cfo, coo, whatever. Thats what it really comes down to.

Last edited:
Flydaplane... Im sure many at AAI would love to see Alaska next, it makes the most sense out of all the merger rumors.. However, ALA doesn't need AAI, and there is no way in hell that AAI is gonna buy Alaska.. However, I would love it if Alaska decided to buy AAI...

What makes you think AirTran or Alaska would try to buy one or the other. Both players could find an outside investor to put up the money to merge both carriers together. (Similar to US Air and America West) Then the question would be which management teams stay around to run the newly merged airline. No one uses their own money any longer for these things, it is all financed......The American Way!

My vote in that would be for Alaska to be the acquiring airline.

Their F/O rates are higher than our own MEC is shooting for with our PROPOSED rates for our new contract. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back