• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

another autothrottle rollback

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When TWA first got the 717's, I was "encouraged" to keep the AT's on until touchdown. Nope, I don't think so.

FSI "encouraged" me to keep the AT's on until touchdown in the G550. Thanks, I'll pass. A guy did that at EWR and wasn't paying attention to the speed and throttles so they went to idle at 50 feet in a little windshear. It looked like a Harrier landing as he rode it in.

Glad it was a Gulfstream instead of a Legacy or there'd be patches on the top of the wing where the struts poked through. ;)

Fly the FU@KIN' AIRPLANE! :rolleyes:

TC

I remember AirTran teaching the autothrottle on through landing technique. I never liked it and after I got out on line and became more comfortable with the plane, I started disconnecting them around 1,000 feet. I never really heard anything from the captains about it as I announced it so there were no surprises. At CAL, on the 737, we were taught to disconnect the throttles anytime you disconnect the autopilot. I like that and do so today on the 757 and 767.

When do you kick them off?
I don't have to. With a quick punch of the speed button (disengage) you are now the in control of the thrust (unless you get slow), the theory being if you have to go around you only need to punch the g/a button. At a previous airline they wanted us to kick everything off. Techniques

I don't have to. With a quick punch of the speed button (disengage) you are now the in control of the thrust (unless you get slow), the theory being if you have to go around you only need to punch the g/a button. At a previous airline they wanted us to kick everything off. Techniques

At some point between takeoff and shutdown at the gate, I'm assuming somewhere you click them off. Flare? Touchdown? Rollout?

Personally, I like the idea of deselecting speed. I'd like to have the A/T there for a back-up.

A/T tend to hunt the speed with the speed of a turtle. Significant power changes require trim changes, hence the Speed Trim.
Hand flying with the A/T's on and the A/P off might result in more work.
Now, occasionally, I've kicked that A/T off with the A/P on in some rough air if the airplane hunts too much, but the A/P usually doesn't stay on much longer.
Don't make this hard, cause it isn't.

The problem with using the speed button on the 737 is the autothrottles reengage at alt hold and gs capture. Kind of a pain in the ass. In our training section of the AOM it says they "should" be engaged. It also says in the cat1 approach profile "ap on or off" "autothrottles on or off" so I choose not to use them.

A/T tend to hunt the speed with the speed of a turtle. Significant power changes require trim changes, hence the Speed Trim.
Hand flying with the A/T's on and the A/P off might result in more work.
Now, occasionally, I've kicked that A/T off with the A/P on in some rough air if the airplane hunts too much, but the A/P usually doesn't stay on much longer.
Don't make this hard, cause it isn't.

True,

Hey Hal, how are the Islands?

At some point between takeoff and shutdown at the gate, I'm assuming somewhere you click them off. Flare? Touchdown? Rollout?

Personally, I like the idea of deselecting speed. I'd like to have the A/T there for a back-up.

They come off automatically after touchdown.

I can't stand this kind of apathetic attitude. The crash in Amsterdam should never have happened. Take responsibility for the lives you're responsible for, shut up and concentrate below ten, and fly the jet. When and how did mediocrity become cool and virtuous?

About the time the GOP took office. (Sorry, couldn't help it.)

Latest resources

Back