• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

another autothrottle rollback

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who the hell uses the autothrottles on a visual approach down to 50 feet? I know the article does not state the weather conditions but some of the responses indicate that people use them down to the bottom. 99% percent of the people I fly with, myself included, turn off the autothrottles at the same time the autopilot comes off. Doesn't anyone FLY anymore? Just curious....

Airtran 717 pilots.

How about being hands on in the Airbus where the Autothrust system doesn't move the thrust levers?

Although this is a Boeing problem right now, I would think you would be paying attention to your speed. If the thrust levers initiated a decrease to idle at a less than ideal position, you could pull them back into a manual mode and fly it like a normal plane. If you are not ready with your hands at low altitude (should something like this happen in the Bus) then you will be a participant in Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

Although this is a Boeing problem right now, I would think you would be paying attention to your speed. If the thrust levers initiated a decrease to idle at a less than ideal position, you could pull them back into a manual mode and fly it like a normal plane. If you are not ready with your hands at low altitude (should something like this happen in the Bus) then you will be a participant in Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

So you are advocating keeping your hands on the thrust levers and joystick of an airplane that doesn't move them with the auto modes engaged? Really!??

I'm no expert, but my guess is the time time it takes to move ones hands from resting position (or whatever position they are in) to flying position is measured in tenths of seconds. Personally, I would rather have pilots think about what they are about to do for few seconds then to give a knee-jerk reaction.

We usually fly A/T all the way to touchdown in the MD11, but you're hands on from 10K to touchdown. Never forget who's flying the airplane.

Bingo. I've got lots of time on 73NG's and have never seen that malfunction, however, there's always a first time, which is why my hands stay on during auto-lands.

Also, during visuals we are supposed to leave the A/T's on, but you can punch the speed button as technique to give you floor protection and still have the A/T's in case you need to go around.

Also, during visuals we are supposed to leave the A/T's on, but you can punch the speed button as technique to give you floor protection and still have the A/T's in case you need to go around.

When do you kick them off?

I tend to become "connected" with the bus when the 1000' auto callout sounds. This lends to quicker response in case something happens. However, the bus will not go to idle on its own when in the flare like it appears the 73 will. We must manually retard the throttles or the bird will fly around the rest of the day screaming at us(retard, retard, retard) while at a manged speed set by the computer.

I know our training dept suggests we disconnect the a/p and a/t on a regular basis to get a feel for the bird, however, leaving them on is standard practice, especially the a/t to touchdown on all landings, and the a/p on all cat 2/3.

And I never read in the cockpit!

I can't stand this kind of apathetic attitude. The crash in Amsterdam should never have happened. Take responsibility for the lives you're responsible for, shut up and concentrate below ten, and fly the jet. When and how did mediocrity become cool and virtuous?

I can't stand this kind of apathetic attitude. The crash in Amsterdam should never have happened. Take responsibility for the lives you're responsible for, shut up and concentrate below ten, and fly the jet. When and how did mediocrity become cool and virtuous?

Was the crash in Amsterdam caused by reading in the cockpit?

Latest resources

Back