Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
I know that the ATP written is good for greater than 2 years if you maintain employment with a 135 (scheduled) or 121 carrier. What if take your ATP written, THEN go to a 121 carrier...is it still good for greater than 2 years? If so, when does it expire? Is it when you terminate employment with that company or is there a "timer" that starts?

Ex: 01/2006 Take ATP written
04/2006 Hired by a 121 carrier
01/2008 Does the written expire? If not, continue below...
06/2006 Leave 121 for 91 gig. Now is the written expired or do you have a grace period before it does?
07/2006 Take ATP practical in conjunction with your type ride. Do you need to retake the written?

Thanks in advance.

Flying Illini said:
I know that the ATP written is good for greater than 2 years if you maintain employment with a 135 (scheduled) or 121 carrier. What if take your ATP written, THEN go to a 121 carrier...is it still good for greater than 2 years? If so, when does it expire? Is it when you terminate employment with that company or is there a "timer" that starts?

Ex: 01/2006 Take ATP written
04/2006 Hired by a 121 carrier
01/2008 Does the written expire? If not, continue below...
06/2006 Leave 121 for 91 gig. Now is the written expired or do you have a grace period before it does?
07/2006 Take ATP practical in conjunction with your type ride. Do you need to retake the written?

Thanks in advance.

Once you get hired by a 121 it becomes indefinately no matter where u are as long as u are in w/in the 2 years. If you quit before ur 2 years are up then it goes back to the original 2 year exp. so if u take it on 01/06 and ATP on 7/06 it is still good

Ok, so the written does not expire once you get on with a 121 carrier, even if you are about to time out (2 years) then you get hired, it will be good as long as you are at that carrier. What I was asking was about was leaving the 121 after your 2 year window...is the written still good or not?

Flying Illini said:
Ok, so the written does not expire once you get on with a 121 carrier, even if you are about to time out (2 years) then you get hired, it will be good as long as you are at that carrier. What I was asking was about was leaving the 121 after your 2 year window...is the written still good or not?

that depends on your local fisdo..Im sure if u go and talk to them on certain situations then they could extended it but if you are not w/ a 121 the 2 year exp. date applies. So yeah you would have to go re-take the written.. but if your thinking of quiting from a 121 and have the mins for an ATP go do it before you quit so you wont have to deal w/ that

BOHICAgain said:
that depends on your local fisdo..Im sure if u go and talk to them on certain situations then they could extended it but if you are not w/ a 121 the 2 year exp. date applies. So yeah you would have to go re-take the written.. but if your thinking of quiting from a 121 and have the mins for an ATP go do it before you quit so you wont have to deal w/ that
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I thought about doing the above (bold) but if I leave I would rather do the ATP ride at the same time as I do a type ride (for whatever company I leave for). If that's not feasible (who knows what the future holds) then I will cough up the $ and go get current in some twin and do the ride that way.

Thanks for the info!

ATP written is good indefinately while you're employed with a 135/121 carrier. If it expires during this period (after 2 yrs. from exam date) it is still good as long as you remain with the carrier. Once you leave it is invalid, even if you get on with another carrier the day you leave.

Flying Illini said:
If that's not feasible (who knows what the future holds) then I will cough up the $ and go get current in some twin and do the ride that way.

You could do it in a Single. Know anyone with a Bonanza or Mooney or somethin cool like that? Just add the ME later...at least your written won't be invalid then.

Just an idea if it can save you cash instead of coughing up tonsa money for twin time in a seminole or somethin...

-mini

Good way

minitour said:
You could do it in a Single. Know anyone with a Bonanza or Mooney or somethin cool like that? Just add the ME later...at least your written won't be invalid then.

Just an idea if it can save you cash instead of coughing up tonsa money for twin time in a seminole or somethin...

-mini

Lots of folks are doing it that way. Once you have the ATP single engine you don't have to worry about the calender. And the type ride is the same as the ATP multiengine add on, so when you get the type you'll get multinengine ATP and the type all together.

Latest resources

Back