• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another alcohol incident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I apologize, in advance, if this is not 100% accurate.

In the late 1980s/early 1990s, a Jetstream International pilot reported for work under the influence. He called in, told scheduling he was running late because of a flat tire, and said he would be in for his next scheduled departure from DAY (his domicile). Another first officer was assigned to fly the first two legs of his duty period.

After arriving at the airplane, the captain noticed nothing wrong with this pilot. At the out station, another employee smelled something on the first officer's breath and reported it. However, the flight departed as scheduled. In DAY, the flight was met and both pilots were removed from duty.

The FAA went after the first officer and the captain! The reason was the captain should never have allowed the first officer to fly. While technically correct, the captain stated, many times, he never smelled any alcohol, and did not observe any behavior indicating the first officer was intoxicated. It took a long time, but the captain evetually won his job back, thanks to ALPA (by the way, ALPA did exactly what they were supposed to do in this case!).

The captain's position was he had a lousy sense of smell. If I recall the story accurately, he spent a lot of his own money to demonstrate this lousy sense of smell. A captain may not always be able to smell alcohol. I'm not certain I could unles the first officer was exhaling right in my face.

I know as a Captain there would be no question that if I had the slightest thought my FO or any of my crew was under the influence that they would certainly not fly on my aircraft, I am also disturbed that time and again the FAA and companies go after the entire cockpit crew when there is but one offender. Now if it can be somehow proved that one pilot knowingly allowed the other to fly under the influence I could understand going after both but I am frightened by the concept that should I fail to see my FO is intoxicated I could lose my job and career.

boozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think thats why you get days off from duty, just to do what you want, and if it's drinking on your day off than so be it.

All that money down the drain for flight training ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

They still should let him fly part 91 stuff without a problem in a year or so. His 135 and 121 days are certainly over if he's guilty.

"...well trained and alert TSA screener."

Here are some other fictional characters:

Easter Bunny
Unicorns
Santa

Hey Sabreliner,
I believe an alcohol test given by a law enforcement officer IS valid, just as we have to show our certificates to any federal, state or local law enforcement official. It may not sound right, but I do believe it's legal.

The day may soon come where each individual company Bans drinking completely during any company time! This means all overnights, layovers, etc.. And, why shouldn't they? Do we need to drink on these overnights? This is still, after all, company time, even if crews are not technically "on duty." I sure don't need to drink on overnights, although I have seen many crewmembers that do! I know the age old arguement, hey, I should be allowed to have a couple of cocktails at dinner...blah, blah, blah....I know firsthand, too many take it farther than this. Well, the actions of all too many of our peers may take that "right" away for good! Could anybody blame the first company that steps up and outlaws drinking on overnights altogether? They might be saving some of you from yourselves!

I was actually there when it happened. We saw the 757 just sitting on the ramp with the beacon on going nowhere. It wasn't until the next day that I heard the news and realized that we were within feet of the incident. :eek:

Originally posted by suen1843
I am sure lots of people will strongly disagree with this, but, any pilot who cannot do a complete duty tour without having an alcoholic drink has a drinking problem and should find a new career.
Now bear in mind that I neither smoke nor drink, so my perspective on this issue may be narrow...but I have to agree with suen on this one. Is that drink really more important than your career?

There is one good thing--and only one good thing--about this most recent incident. In light of recent events, the general public was probably beginning to see alcohol as a "little airline" problem. "That can't happen at the 'real' airlines." Sadly, it can. It can happen anywhere.

The TSA screeners are watching, listening, and sniffing, folks. If you do this kind of drinking while you're at work, you're playing Russian roulette with all our reputations.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back