• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another alcohol incident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok everybody, slow down a little. We all know how good the media is at getting their facts straight when bending the truth a little makes the story better. Perhaps we should wait for this guy to be convicted before you all lynch him. The breath test given by the police isn't necessairly a valid test as far as the FAA is concerned, since it may not have been part of an approved testing program.

Everybody needs to chill out a little. Remember, that could be you who gets yanked off a flight some morning because of something a screener thinks they smell or saw, even if you hadn't had a drink in a week.

However, if it does turn out to be true that he showed up for work with a .07, then he did all of us a very large and damaging disservice, and you can vilify him all you want as far as I'm concerned.

If he is guilty of the crime, he should do the time. However, he also needs some professional help to get his life back on track. I am all for punishment but remember, alcoholism is a disease and he deserves treatment if he wants it. Delta has an excellent program for employees with alcohol problems and after he is fired hopefully he can get help.

B737G said:
I am all for punishment but remember, alcoholism is a disease and he deserves treatment if he wants it. Delta has an excellent program for employees with alcohol problems and after he is fired hopefully he can get help.

Why do you automatically assume he is an alcoholic?

If he is truly an alcoholic then this isn't the first time he has reported for duty drunk. Your "alcoholic defense" sure doesn't say much for the effectiveness of his twice-a-year flight physicals and the observation skills of the pilots who have flown with him over the past year.

Not everyone who drinks enough to blow .07 is an alcoholic. He may just be a reckless, irresponsible party boy who went over the line at a Christmas celebration and got caught by an well trained and alert TSA screener.

DaveGriffin said:
Why do you automatically assume he is an alcoholic?

If he is truly an alcoholic then this isn't the first time he has reported for duty drunk. Your "alcoholic defense" sure doesn't say much for the effectiveness of his twice-a-year flight physicals and the observation skills of the pilots who have flown with him over the past year.

Not everyone who drinks enough to blow .07 is an alcoholic. He may just be a reckless, irresponsible party boy who went over the line at a Christmas celebration and got caught by an well trained and alert TSA screener.

My Father is an addictionologist and his hospital has treated over 500 airline employees. As a result, I believe I can safely say he is an alcoholic. Any pilot who attempts to work while blowing a .07 has impaired judgement which is a classic sign of an alcoholic. My bet is he has done this before and that a pattern of behavior will be evident when he goes for an assessment. You should hit your local library and do some research. You may actually learn something about the disease and its signs.

Why the he!! do so many people think alcohol is so important? It isn't! There is nothing wrong with having a drink but do it responsibly. It is a sad fact that so many people let a stupid drink rule there life. Folks quit pissing your careers down the drain and just drink on your days off! Many people have such a bad perception of pilots and these incidents don't help.

I would tend to hold off in accusing this pilot of being an "alcoholic" until ALL the facts are out and the FAA as well as DAL has fully and adequately investigated this matter to the utmost. This could be just a perfect example of a pilot attending a party or having a few too many since tis the season for parties. No matter what happens though, it is obvious that blowing a .07% is unacceptable, illegal, unprofessional, etc, etc, etc, ..... and just punishment should be handed down to this guy. Just because one enjoys drinking on "certain" occasions does NOT always indicate that everyone is an "alcoholic". An alcoholic is dependent on alcohol most of the time and I am sure that he wouldn't have made it this far if he truly was "dependent" upon alcohol and if he had a major problem. A few possibly will slip through the cracks however "IF" he is that much into alcohol everyday then I would only assume that he would have been caught long before now. Atleast that would be logical reasoning. Regardless of whether he is an "alcoholic" should be irrelevant since his actions were unacceptable and not permitted and he never should have shown up for work knowing that he was in that kinda shape.- Hopefully he can get the proper help if he does have a serious problem but I won't just "assume" that he is an alcoholic until ALL facts have been made public and all sides of the story have been put out

I am very curious how he is going to justify his side of the story...

3 5 0:eek:

This could be just a perfect example of a pilot attending a party or having a few too many since tis the season for parties.

Thats not an acceptable excuse for a 42 year old major airline pilot who had a 6:00 A.M. departure the next morning. He should have had nothing to drink the prior evening if he was going to abide by the 8 hour FAA rule and I am assuming Delta has a 12 hour rule bottle to throttle. The 12 hour rule is governing in keeping his job.

An alcoholic is dependent on alcohol most of the time and I am sure that he wouldn't have made it this far if he truly was "dependent" upon alcohol and if he had a major problem

This incident would be classified as a "major" problem.

There are numerous pilots with drinking problems that are able to conceal year after year.

but I won't just "assume" that he is an alcoholic until ALL facts have been made public and all sides of the story have been put out

I agree, but the incident speaks for itself. This guy just lost his job.

Wow

Doctor B737G,

We all appreciate the exhaustive research you have done on this incident to arrive at your precise conclusion. Thank you for your indepth and thorough assessment.

If I am ever accused of murder I certainly want you on the jury. I can see it now.

-Lawyer,"Your honor, we happen to know that Clownpilot was somewhere within a few miles of the murder scene when it happened AND we heard a rumor that he may have been seen shooting a gun at a round target in the past few years, a gun I might add that used bullets. As it happens the gun that shot the victim ALSO USED BULLETS."

-B737G screaming from the jury box, "OMG he's guilty, GUILTY!!!!!! Execute Clownpilot!!!!!"

Well done, G.

B737G said:
My Father is an addictionologist and his hospital has treated over 500 airline employees. As a result, I believe I can safely say he is an alcoholic. Any pilot who attempts to work while blowing a .07 has impaired judgement which is a classic sign of an alcoholic. My bet is he has done this before and that a pattern of behavior will be evident when he goes for an assessment. You should hit your local library and do some research. You may actually learn something about the disease and its signs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back