Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NookyBooky

Beach Bum Extraordanaire
Just curious, I hear alot about pilots going to the gaurd after their commitment in the Navy or AF is up. Is it possible for an ANG pilot to become an active duty pilot for the Navy or AF after his ANG commitment is up?

And what is the minimum amount of time you must commit to if the ANG puts you through primary?

In the immortal words of Steve Martin in "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles": "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!"

I'm sure it's possible, but why on earth would a ANG pilot ever want to go on Active Duty? Especially in the Navy. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity to reply to this after spending nearly 12 years on Active Duty in the Air Force.

It's not impossible and people are actually doing it! There are two ex-navy guys that are in the AF flying T-37s. There's also an F-15 guard dude who's on active duty with the T-38 squadron. We had a number of guard guys that flew '38s active...one took the bonus and is staying. Most go back to their respective units.

One reason is the stability of the active duty. Yes, you have to put up with baffoons in leadership positions but that's a small price to pay when you're family's medical is covered.

Latest resources

Back