ANG question about enlisting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

guidoverduci

Okay- I've read through a lot of the posts and they are very helpful, I just want to thank everyone who contributed. My question is about enlisting in the guard. I'm pretty sure this is what I want to do. I'd eventually like to apply for a pilot slot and serve my country proud. How does the enlisted part work if it's part time? Can I go to the college I'm in now, or do I have to go to ones on the base? If it's a part time job, can I go to a local college but have my enlisted job somewhere else, perhaps another state? If you could tell me as much as you can about how the being enlisted in the ANG works I'd really appreciate it. You can post it here or email me at [email protected]

I am in the Tn Air Guard right now. I am a flight engineer on the C141. If you enlist you go to basic training. Then onto your field. Now in our unit we hire pilots from within, meaning they will select in our squadron also within our unit. I would suggest if you get into a flying unit, that way you will be known and it helps a great deal when you go before the board.

Where do you live now, because there are guard units all over the country.

yeah, my plan was to get the job within the unit I wanted to fly for. However- I'm still confused on how the job part of it works. What would my schedule be like if I go to school full time? and what about going to school in one state- and workin for a guard unit in another? I know there are units all over.

Talking about school. I don't understand if you mean college or military school. I will try to explain both sides.

Miltary you will be on active duty until completion of your training. You would go monday thru friday. 8-5.
Civilian school you can work part time in the unit for example drill weekends, then you can attend school while doing weekend drills.
Living in one state and going to the guard in another is not a problem. We have people who live in Dallas TX, Atlanta Ga and Denver Col. So the only problem would be is getting back to drill weekend. These guys who are doing it work for the airline and are able to fly for free.

thanks for replying. I'm sorry I was unclear. What I mean is enlisting in a guard unit..... lets say in Hawaii... and going to school in Arizona. A regular college schedule yet keep up your guard duties. Is it possible? How can you go to school full time and be enlisted in the guard? What is the guard work schedule like? That is what I'm confused on. Thanks again

In a flying unit you have one weekend a month to do your drill weekends and with you flying in depends on each unit. Are unit requires you to fly at least one cross country of 3 days a month and at least one or two flights a month.

Living in AZ and flying in HI will be tough unless you work for a airline and can use the flight benefits, other wise it will be very expensive.

Terry

Thanks I understand now. For some reason, I thought the military paid for your commercial flights, if you were living in a different state, guess not! I do have one last question. What if I'm going to school full time, and for some reason the guard unit gets called to active duty- how does that work? What about the whole school situation? thanks again

Enlisting in ANG

Guido,

Do you live in AZ now? If so, the Tucson Guard is a great unit to enlist in. I was enlisted in the unit for 3+ years and I'm now going to pilot training. The unit does not deploy very much at all due to the fact that it is an AETC (training) unit. Individual components of the unit have been activated (SPs, etc), but that is rare.

PM me if you need additional info.

Flaco

I'm in Phoenix now. I was thinking of enlisting here, not sure though. So you can get deployed while in school? How does that work?

Deployments

Guido,

Yes, you can be deployed while in college. When you enlist, you are committed to being available at any time for deployments or call-ups. I am also in Phoenix, but every month I drive down to Tucson for drill. Is there any reason why you want to join Phoenix Guard over Tucson?

A traditional (part-time) Guardsman works one weekend a month. In addition, you have to work for 15 "annual training" days at some point during the year. In my unit, we choose when we do these 15 days of work, so I always worked around my school schedule.

I know Phoenix Guard has a high ops tempo and does get deployed. Make sure you research this before you commit, unless you don't mind being flexible with school.

Flaco

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back