• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ANG: Part Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd love to go fighters too, and my heart would be in it alot more than C130s. But CLT is my home, and my heart is here. I fly the Dash 8 now, and while the flying might be more challenging in the Guard, its still a high wing, short field TP. Many other factors are involved, and I'm trying to get all the info I can over the next few months.

just going ballistic about how excited I am to graduate next year and apply considering this is something I have wanted since I was a kid

That, right there, is as important as anything else. Enthusiasm shows and definitely tilts the odds in your favor. Commanders want to hire guys who want to fly their jets.

That, right there, is as important as anything else. Enthusiasm shows and definitely tilts the odds in your favor. Commanders want to hire guys who want to fly their jets.

Well right now I'm mad I'm not graduating I missed the UPT board at the Wisconsin ANG unit I want to apply to its coming up this May but I have a year to go. I see you have some time in the KC-135 and C-130 how do you like them? My heart like I said is in the fighters but I plan on applying to a couple of units that fly them to. I'm just nervous I have year to pull my gpa up but I'm afraid it still won't be high enough.

I see you have some time in the KC-135 and C-130 how do you like them?

I do. The 135 was great because we went everywhere. I was in it for 4 short years and saw the world. I can't speak for today, but I'd guess you'd spend a good bit of time in the Middle East. You'd not have to worry about employment, though. A lot of tax-free Active Duty time and a lot of different stamps on your passport.

I like the 130, also. Again, plenty of opportunities to make extra money. Depending on the unit, you can do some very different kinds of flying. My unit flies into hurricanes, I can't speak for the TAC airlift or Special Ops guys. They do some really cool, challenging stuff. One thing I can say for them: I know a bunch of guys flying different types of 130s and one thing they have in common is they LOVE that airframe!

I loved flying the F-4. It was a dream since early childhood and I got to live it. No, tanker and 130 flying isn't nearly as exciting but I'd not change a thing. I have worked with some of the best people this world has to offer and have had some great times in some really cool places.

I'm just nervous I have year to pull my gpa up but I'm afraid it still won't be high enough

You've identified a problem. Fix it. If you don't then you only have yourself to blame. A flying squadron choosing between two qualified people will look at a bunch of stuff before comparing GPAs, if they even do compare them. That being said, you still want the highest possible GPA to show that you're serious and that you do have a good study habit. Unless you're the Commander's son or nephew you don't stand a chance of being considered without a strong GPA.

You've gotten some great advice from two of the most knowledgable people who post here: Magnum!! and AdlerDriver. They both are on the other side of the window you're looking through. Heed what they say. Do that and get your A$$ in the books. It's your ball, either shoot it or wonder about it the rest of your life.

Last edited:
I fly the Dash 8 now, and while the flying might be more challenging in the Guard, its still a high wing, short field TP. Many other factors are involved, and I'm trying to get all the info I can over the next few months.

There is ZERO similarities between flying a -8 and a -130...well not ZERO but you know what I mean.

Flying is flying...that is the easy part. Employing the weapon system is where you make your money. Flying an ILS to mins in the -8 cannot be compared to an ARA to some crap dirt strip in Afghanistan. When is the last time you led a four ship of -8's low level in the weather?

If you go into an interview with that sort of "attitude", you will get smoked! Not trying to be dick but I have seen airline pilots come in for interviews and think their airline flying will make for an easy transition to military flying. It will NOT! Not even close.

I used to fly for the airlines (now with a large fractional...thank GOD!) but am an enlisted fly'r in the Reserves. When I interviewed for my latest flying gig (which is SWEET), I made little mention of my flying on the outside. They brought it up and I told them the two are worlds apart.

Approach military flying as though you are starting over again...in most respects, you will be. As someone as said, this is the BEST deal in the world...bar none....unless the job for dressing/undressing Jessica Alba is available.

There is ZERO similarities between flying a -8 and a -130...well not ZERO but you know what I mean.

Flying is flying...that is the easy part. Employing the weapon system is where you make your money. Flying an ILS to mins in the -8 cannot be compared to an ARA to some crap dirt strip in Afghanistan. When is the last time you led a four ship of -8's low level in the weather?

If you go into an interview with that sort of "attitude", you will get smoked! Not trying to be dick but I have seen airline pilots come in for interviews and think their airline flying will make for an easy transition to military flying. It will NOT! Not even close.

I used to fly for the airlines (now with a large fractional...thank GOD!) but am an enlisted fly'r in the Reserves. When I interviewed for my latest flying gig (which is SWEET), I made little mention of my flying on the outside. They brought it up and I told them the two are worlds apart.

Approach military flying as though you are starting over again...in most respects, you will be. As someone as said, this is the BEST deal in the world...bar none....unless the job for dressing/undressing Jessica Alba is available.

You can have my guard slot. Two jobs sucks. You have no life.

Apply everywhere. Take the first pilot slot you get. Do not worry so much about your grades. We want well rounded, good people, not social misfit brainiacs. Also, if you get into the Wisconsin ANG, you will be a member of the WANG!

Good Luck!!!!!

You can have my guard slot. Two jobs sucks. You have no life.

Agreed. That's why public sector is where it's AT! AGR/ART is the way to go..at least that's what I'm shooting for long-term. Barring a crapshoot NetJets call (only no-commute gig from where I live) in a decade when I'll be marginally competitive for that job (meh..), there's NO airline I'd try to swing the two-job shuffle for, let alone commute on top of that.

Given the current state of things, I suspect there won't be many "AGR/ART vs airline" threads on this board for the foreseeable future, 'nuff said. I'm dead serious about that, I'll freelance CFI and greet at Wal-mart if the trough gets too lean to pay the rent, before I go work for a friggin' regional, while waiting on the ART job. Commuting is the devil, commuting to a no-pension job is mental lol.

To the OP, I interviewed with Fort Wayne and Toledo several moons ago. Good bunch of folks, and they get a healthy amount of applicants. That's a tough cookie to crumble though, especially post-BRAC 2005 and the UAV revolution. At any rate after 3 years I gave up on the Guard (and the Viper dream) and went heavy Reserves. I can tell you that having ANY Guard/Reserve job, particularly one with a healthy pot of money, is the best thing you can do for your flying aspirations. I would apply to all of them with locations you wouldn't mind being local to, and go with the first one that hires ya. I'm biased to the Reserves, it's been my experience that they push you way quicker through the training pipeline and have a larger money pot than the average guard unit, which means better employment outlook. Mileage may vary on that one of course. Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back