ANG Advice Non-Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I'm going to be graduating from college soon and I'm interested in the ANG. I have a PPL, but I doubt I am very competitive for a flight spot at this point and I wouldn't mind just being a part of the team for a while and then applying for a flight spot later on. So I was wondering what the ANG was like for non-flying officers.

Does anybody know what kind kind of job functions officers perform in the ANG besides flying?

What steps do you have to complete, and how long does it take from the time you sign up until you become a 2nd Lt. in the ANG?

IMO

I am a recent graduate of AMS (Academy of Military Science), which is the guards version of OTS. In my graduating class of 113, there were 25 non-prior service folks like yourself. Of that 25 I can't think of anyone who was not going in as a flyer.
Nonflying officer positions with the guard are normally filled from within each unit. Since there are exceptions to every rule and you do happen to be selected for a nonflying position you can expect the process to take between 9mos-2yrs from selection to the completion of AMS.

If flying for the guard is where you eventually want to be then I suggest you find an enlisted position that would interest you the most. Go to your local unit and talk to a recruiter and have them get you intouch with someone who is doing the job in you are interested in. Your chances of getting that pilot slot are greatly increased of you are already a member of that unit.

good luck,

SR

Maybe just ask?...

I am a Guardsman, but not in a traditional unit, so all of you guys in the "real" ANG can correct me as required.

I'd walk in and say "I want to be a pilot!. If I cannot be a pilot right now, and I know its a very competitive process, where can you use a guy with my enthusiam. Are there any spots where a 2Lt could be of some service?" If they say "no, but we could use an E-5 here or there..." then you can consider your options. In any case, don't try to figure out what THEY need, ASK them. They'll appreciate your candor and willingness to work, and you'll appreciate the fact they know what your ultimate goal is. I'll bet for a sharp, motivated guy it could be a win/win proposition for both you and your gaining unit.

Been wrong before and will be again...std disclaimers...

I figured I'd jump in on this thread since I have some similar questions. I'm shooting for a fighter UPT slot in the guard or reserves but in the mean time I've been looking into possibly joining as an enlisted or preferrably a non-flying officer to get some military experience under my belt. After I join a unit do I have to wait before I can apply to UPT boards or can I switch to pilot right away if I'm selected somewhere? Would I need permission to leave my present military job to take a UPT slot at another unit? I've heard AMS or basic can be put off for a little while instead of going immediately, is this true? My biggest concern is being away for 6+ weeks for commissioning not to mention technical school. That would be pretty difficult on my employer and would be hard to get things restabilized especially if I was in the guard only parttime. Do all positions require technical school or are some on the job training? The closest unit to me is the 125th FW which I would love to join but if I had to join a heavy unit would they get mad that I'm applying to fighter units but aren't interested in their airframe? Thanks for any info!

Guard Jobs

Hey Dudes,
I'm with Albie on this one. You need to go to the units and ask them what they need/want. I'm an A-10 "guard baby" and I got hired with 200 hours of PPL time in C150's. I got hired because I picked a couple fighter units and bugged the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** out of them until they hired me. It took almost a year, but eventually it payed off. I think a lot of dudes under-estimate the importance of what a guard unit THINKS of you and over-estimates the importance of flight time/ratings. When it comes down to it, a squadron wants to hire a good dude, because (unlike active duty) you won't be leaving after a 3 year tour....they're stuck with you for a long, long time. Having SOME flight time is almost a must, but being "super civilian" ATP guy is hardly necessary. I would pick 1 or 2 squadrons as my A-Team and visit them 3 or 4 times a year. Bring a case of beer (good stuff) when you show up and just shoot the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** with the guys. Sooner or later (provided you aren't a tool) they'll see that you really want to be there, that you're a good dude and that you'd be an asset to the squadron.

As for other jobs, enlisted is probably where you'd end up. The non-flying officer positions are rare and usually filled from within. Also, fighter pilots tend to look at non-rated officers as outsiders that don't really fit in. If you really wanted to be a part of the unit, you'd have much more interaction with the pilots if you were a crew chief or an ops clerk. That's all I've got.

Latest resources

Back