• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

And now for something completely different: DAL+CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta and CAL have been in contact about a merger for over a year, along with UAL, this is not a secret. And schwank, geshields is correct, NWA can only stop a buyout of CAL, not the other way around, so really NWA has very little to say about it.

These delusional flashes...

Do they come in waves, or are they almost continuous?

Steenland actually wrote the 6 restrictions himself (he was the VP of Corporate Wankery at the time) in June of '98.

CAL can't merge or acquire any Part 121 carrier without permission of the NWA Board.

FACTS...helping rational people tolerate dreamers for 6,000 years!

Steenland actually wrote the 6 restrictions himself (he was the VP of Corporate Wankery at the time) in June of '98.

CAL can't merge or acquire any Part 121 carrier without permission of the NWA Board.

I thought that sounded familiar. If I may, your post from last fall concerning this: LINK

Thanks for the info.

Is it too much to hope for that they all just throw up their hands and say "screw it, we tried" and get back to the business of running individual airlines? Much more time devoted to this and it'll be like UAL/US a few years ago. When it didn't happen they all stood around looking at the ground, "now what?"

everything in this business is negotiable. that 'golden share' has a value attached to it. NWA has finally found the value of that share and may make it payoff during this round of merger mania.

the rules are re-written all the time in this industry. that share may be 'golden' but it can be purchased i'm sure.

all bets are off with the potential for many mergers to happen simultaneously. add the DOJ anti-trust demands to any deal and we could have fractured pieces of airlines (fleets/routes) be purchased by another carrier.

thank goodness for de-regulation. it's done us all a lot of good.

No argument about the $$ value of the "Golden Share".

My point, other than the one on top of my head, is that it covers CAL purchasing another airline.

When NWA negotiated the Golden Share, it was done to ensure that all paths to consolidation led through MSP.

I'm not sure if all paths must pass thru the frozen tundra...but the one discussed on this thread must. That's not an opinion.

I'm convinced Occam sleeps with a copy of the "golden share" language under his pillow. I anoint you the "golden share" expert.

I'm convinced Occam sleeps with a copy of the "golden share" language under his pillow. I anoint you the "golden share" expert.

1. Cool! I'll be "Golden Share"...you be "Golden Shower". Deal?

2. Newest mortal sin: Having first-hand knowledge in the face of relentless ignorance. I'll save you place in Hades.

3. You don't anoint around here! The General does! And since he's soon to be my coffee-fetching walk-around doer, I predict a Knighthood for me soon.

4. Methinks thou dost protest too much. Kinda hurts a bit when you think about it, huh?

2. Newest mortal sin: Having first-hand knowledge in the face of relentless ignorance. I'll save you place in Hades.

Don't let it bother you. Some here know and appreciate good info when they hear it.

3. You don't anoint around here! The General does! And since he's soon to be my coffee-fetching walk-around doer, I predict a Knighthood for me soon.

That brings up a good point. If you guys are going to be assimilated, unless you plan on being ATL based, you'll want to do every other walk-around.:)

Atlanta Capt's Brief: "The good news is, I do walk-arounds in bad weather. The bad news is, it never gets that bad."

That's not what CAL's CEO and President said to their employees concerning NWA's involvement and the golden share, but I'm sure you know more than they do.

Just Like Gordon Bafoone, he never told you the truth, just told you what you wanted to here. He probably still has you all thinking you have good work rules. How many years since the second CH-11? He sold the golden egg (and stock) to NWA vs. the DAL offer and imminent extinction.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back