And Boyd says...................

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Big Duke Six said:
Why UAL is still charging BELOW market rates is still a mystery.

I can think of a few reasons they still charge below market rates:

*they are in bankruptcy and are no longer respnsible to shareholders so they can

*they need to show high load factors to make management look good.

*they need to try and keep their customer base and give everyone a freebie.

*Ual doesn't have to show higher revenues until they propose an exit business plan. I mean do u actually think if they show a profit now and a loss in 6-12 months that that will look good? It's the other way around...show a loss now, struggling to stay afloat and voila, 6 months from now we're breaking even and that's great! stock goes up and large shareholders of new stock can sell for a profit b4 the lawyers get rich again in the next bankruptcy. It's a repeatable business plan that works great. No shareholders now= no accountability.

*full planes and losses equates to more leverage by management to get wage and benefits concessions. see, they are back at it this month asking workers for $192 million a year in more cuts--how about mngmt?

*Nothing like watching your competition bleed along with you. Hey, if you can't make money and have court protection from your responsibilities, why not? Mgmt. doesn't care about the health of the industry.

*Unions are impotent to bring this up b/c they have no leverage. It's a sinking ship and heaven forbid they put pressure on the company to raise fairs...funny how easily that works in good times but not in bad. They are sleeping with mgmt. anyway. (see Ual's MEC announcenment tuesday in which they said they have reached a tentative agreement with the company but CANNOT tell the members the deal until a later date. oooh, sounds very secret that the A plan is gone and a 18-22% pay cut is coming as was presented).

should I go on? I think I'm putting myself to sleep.

Not trying to pick on you but I needed to vent after reading your statment.

Respectfully,
a fellow bus driver

Latest resources

Back