Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ANC living--Nicest place to live near ANC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

free.bird

Just curious where the NICEST place to live near the ANC airport is(i.e. within a 1.0 or so drive) saying you are willing to spend around 400-500k without being too isolated and close to restaurants and stuff....

Thanks for your inputs.

i think you meant 1 mile, but i would live in Girdwood, which is 45 minutes.
The farther back up the hills you go the nicer it is. At the 400-500k range you can pick anywhere and get something really nice.

Sir Milo,

Thanks for the correction. I meant 1 hours drive to ANC.

Just curious where all the UPS,FDX,NWA,and Alaska guys and girls usually end up living.

Never been to ANC, but it may be an option me for in a year or two...

Regards

Depends on what you like - the Hillside is nice and its still a reasonable drive to the airport depending on what part you choose. A 1 hour drive will put you anywhere in ANC and as far north as Palmer/Wasilla or south to Girdwood. There are a few FedEx/UPS guys on that airpark (name escapes me) by the Palmer airport, looked nice last time I was there. Several options for airpark living around ANC if thats your thing. Girdwood is good if you want to be a ski bum on your off days. Palmer/Wasilla are both nice if you want to get out into the wilderness frequently. Pick your poison. I would think 500k should be more than sufficient at any of those locations.

Is there property tax in Alaska?

OMG, yes. Try approx 1.4% flat tax every year. That's about $500/month on a $450k home. Pain.

For whomever was asking about being close to restaurants and a 400-500k home, try Southport (in Anchorage) or the town of Eagle River (7 mi NE of Anchorage, but "somewhat" isolated). IMO, those are the two neighborhoods you can get a nice 3+ bed/2+ bath house with that "little" $.

CheyDogFlies,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out that area...

Looks like your set! C-17 driver and UPS in ANC

Nice Job!

Regards,

free.bird

We maybe heading up that way soon as well--Anyone know how the schools are? 2 kids soon to be in school and that is a priority for us. Also, I've only been to ANC in the summer and I understand that the winters are actually not that bad. We live in Chicago and it is colder here I believe. Thanks

Latest resources

Back