Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ANC living--Nicest place to live near ANC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Palmer is nice, just spent some days there last week. Rather scenic, you can even see a glacier from the airport.

We maybe heading up that way soon as well--Anyone know how the schools are? 2 kids soon to be in school and that is a priority for us. Also, I've only been to ANC in the summer and I understand that the winters are actually not that bad. We live in Chicago and it is colder here I believe. Thanks

I live in Eagle River and the two Elementry Schools Ravenwood and Alpenglow are two of the best in the state. The schools on the hillside(South Anchorage) are also pretty good. The winters arent that bad, being from Michigan I feel that they are milder but longer. I would recommend a week in Maui in February to get you over the winter hump. Girdwood kinda has a hippie/greeny population that gets under my skin a little but it is nice there. As for Wasilla it is growing fast and would be a nice alternative to Anchorage but its a long drive and there are some issues with Meth and the schools are horrible. I really like palmer if I was going to live in the valley thats where I would live.(stay away from the Butte area, lots of inbreeding, homes on wheels, big mamas in stretch pants, Monster trucks, and chainsaw art.) All in all with kids we found Eagle River to be the best for us, great schools, sleepy community, 20 min drive to ANC, great people lots to do and close to the Birchwood airport if you have a desire to buy an airplane. PM if you have any other questions.

I really like palmer if I was going to live in the valley thats where I would live.(stay away from the Butte area, lots of inbreeding, homes on wheels, big mamas in stretch pants, Monster trucks, and chainsaw art.)

Thats for sure, I went hiking at Eklutna lake and drove back to Palmer on that road that goes by Butte. Saw plenty of trailers, burned out cars by the road, just some of the strangest stuff we have seen in Alaska, and well you can see some strange stuff out here at times.

Wish there were some more fires in that neck of the woods, Palmer is a lot nicer than Fairbanks! :)

OMG, yes. Try approx 1.4% flat tax every year. That's about $500/month on a $450k home. Pain.

HA! thats chump change compared to quite a few other states.

Havent been up there in a while. Is the place starting to really grow with all the traffic? Its really nice up there, its a paradise if your a sportsman/hunter.

Latest resources

Back