An open letter to the pilots of Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mckpickle

For many years I have heard the SKywest pilots talk about how they did not desire a union. Reasons varried from being treated correctly to not wanting to pay 1.9% of their pay. Either way, I want to point an issue out.

You've told us to stay out of your buisness because it's your choice. The issue now is that your company has set up the "perfect storm". You have allowed your company to offer the choice of nothing but a whipsaw to the pilots of XJT. Pilots are not supposed to compete with each other. Your actions and not allowing ALPA on property, have allowed that to happen. We at XJT have the most important job protection in the industry. We have negotiated this to protect us AND the pilots we affect in the indutry. In fact our union was working with protecting MESA pilots in the event that we took some of their flying from Delta. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. Those are the things we've done to improve the profession.

I understand that most Skywest pilots really don't care. You'll get and upgrade or new base and more flying. Each time this industry loses a little we all lose. You've allowed this to happen.

What are your thoughts?

I've been respectful, I hope you can do the same.

is anyone else tired of all the sanctimonious b.s. being posted around here by a majority of xjet people? you are not the greatest thing since sliced bread. you are not the greatest company that ever graced the skies over this great nation. you are not better than anyone else. and you are most certainly not the arbiters of what is right, wrong, professional, or anything else. in case you need a reminder, and it looks as though a bunch of you do, you work for a pissant regional just like the rest of us.

Shouldn't you also talk to ASA pilots? They have just as much to do with anything skywest inc. As Skywest Airlines. I love how everyone blames this on Skywest Airlines. I never saw you crying about ASA pilots and protecting them when you took flying from them. Go cry somewhere else. If we had ALPA how would that stop this from happening? ASA is ALPA so what.

Big difference between losing flying and losing the aircraft to do any flying. I don't believe any ASA people (let alone 700) were put on the street when we stole their LAX base.

Shouldn't you also talk to ASA pilots? They have just as much to do with anything skywest inc. As Skywest Airlines. I love how everyone blames this on Skywest Airlines. I never saw you crying about ASA pilots and protecting them when you took flying from them. Go cry somewhere else. If we had ALPA how would that stop this from happening? ASA is ALPA so what.

Your screen name fits you. ASA pilots never chose to be bought out by Skywest.

Glad to not be part of this anymore. What a joke.

1/3 of the pilots did vote for ALPA.
More and more of our pilots hired in the past 5 years have already worked at ALPA carriers and refused to vote ALPA.
As a line pilot, how can I have control of what my management is doing?

is anyone else tired of all the sanctimonious b.s. being posted around here by a majority of xjet people? you are not the greatest thing since sliced bread. you are not the greatest company that ever graced the skies over this great nation. you are not better than anyone else. and you are most certainly not the arbiters of what is right, wrong, professional, or anything else. in case you need a reminder, and it looks as though a bunch of you do, you work for a pissant regional just like the rest of us.

This isn't sanctimonious b.s. It's about job protection and our industry. We never said we were the greatest anything. We do have a very well run airline by all operational metrics. We do have one of the best contracts in the industry, better than many majors. And we do have industry leading scope protection. The point here is that by not being organized Skywest is in the position of always being the gun to the heads of every organized airline that Skywest Inc. buys. That hurts the entire industry. ASA is organized and we can work with them against management if we need to. Skywest pilots work at the pleasure of management. They can unilaterally change any work rule or pay/benefit that you have for any reason that they want. If they wanted to they could shift all flying to ASA and rehire all Skywest pilots as first year fo's.

Unfortunately as a Skywest Airlines line pilot there is only so much one can do. I had one card to send in for an ALPA vote (which I did) and one vote (which was for) when it came time for an election. The vote was not the outcome I wanted but that's how it goes. The majority spoke for better or worse. In the end the XJET pilot group will have to do what's best for them. While it would be nice to see pilot groups band together for the common good that just isn't going to happen. When a pilot votes, in his/her mind it usually goes in this order. Will this be good for me? Will this benefit my company which in turn will be good for me? Will this have a positive effect on my profession (as long as it is good for me)? It's not just SkyWest pilots that vote this way, ALL pilots vote this way. I sure don't see any USAir, America West, Delta, or Northwest pilots standing together for the common good of the profession. Why? Because they are too busy looking out for themselves and what is best for their individual pilot groups as their airlines merge. Sorry to sound so cynical, but that's just what I've seen since I've been in aviation. In the end I wish nothing but the best for the XJET pilot group. I've gotten to fly with some former XJET pilots and all have been great people. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back