an ADX wannabe?!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chico74

I've been flyin Part-135 for the past 7 years and got tired of the constant "on call" status and no longer getting that excited with actual flying altogether. So I've decided to switch gear and try a new path as an ADX...

Now trying to make sense of this all.. Any thoughts/tips for a new wannabe? Any Do's and Don'ts? How saturated is the ADX market to be picked as a new career path?

Cheers!

Expect to spend a lot of time at the regionals.

Other than the horrific pay - are there any other major differences between regionals and majors? Also, does it matter suppl/doms/flag?

Chico,

You dont know anyone with the initials CH do you?

Other than the horrific pay

'Horrific pay' is relative. Yes, there's a gap, but I can guarantee that with the cost of living, you would find that someone starting out at Mesa, Horizon, or SkyWest is having a much easier life than someone at say, jetBlue.

Other than the horrific pay - are there any other major differences between regionals and majors? Also, does it matter suppl/doms/flag?

If you don't have many restrictions in regards to location, you should be able to find a job. They are out there, if you're willing to move.

You can expect to spend upwards of 5-10 years at a regional/national before a major will look at you (if that's your ultimate goal). I don't believe one type of operation carries any more weight than another type in regards to dom/flag/supp. It's all experience.

Companies that offer multiple types of flying is always good.

Is it pretty common with dispatchers to commute (airline) to work like pilots offen do or is relocating usually a given with a new job?

[I live pretty "centraled" in the US, with most airlines servicing my city and non-revving is typically not too hard (from my experience with buddy-passes)... ]

If you don't have many restrictions in regards to location, you should be able to find a job. They are out there, if you're willing to move.

You can expect to spend upwards of 5-10 years at a regional/national before a major will look at you (if that's your ultimate goal). I don't believe one type of operation carries any more weight than another type in regards to dom/flag/supp. It's all experience.

Companies that offer multiple types of flying is always good.

I commute and my airlines' dispatchers currently arent even CASS. However, while not that common, it is definitely doable...

I commute and my airlines' dispatchers currently arent even CASS. However, while not that common, it is definitely doable...

The one exception to that would be SkyWest. While it's certainly possible to commute, it's highly discouraged due to the location, number of available seats, and high amount of non-revs.

The one exception to that would be SkyWest. While it's certainly possible to commute, it's highly discouraged due to the location, number of available seats, and high amount of non-revs.

Oh now come on. Its only a short drive to LAS if you cant get out of here on our new shiny jet service. Besides, soon we will have flights to SFO, DEN, PHX, ORD, ATL, CDG, NRT.......

Latest resources

Back