AMR sees itself as an acquirer in potential mergers and at least five airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inflightboi175

AMR sees itself as an acquirer in potential mergers and at least five airlines -- US Airways Group Inc , JetBlue Airways Corp , Alaska Air Group , Republic Airways' Frontier Airlines, and Virgin America -- will be considered.

AMR Corp will reach out to at least five airlines, including US Airways Group and JetBlue Airways Corp, under its plan to evaluate potential mergers and other strategic options, a source familiar with the situation said on Tuesday.

The bankrupt parent of American Airlines also plans to look at Alaska Air Group, Frontier Airlines - a unit of Republic Airways -- and Virgin America as potential merger partners, the source said.

American executives mentioned these five airlines as potential merger candidates at a meeting with its unsecured creditors committee on Tuesday and discussed the merits and challenges of each combination, said the source, who asked not to be identified because the matter is not public.

American Chief Executive Tom Horton said earlier on Tuesday that the carrier is going ahead with plans to evaluate potential mergers and will reach out to interested parties, but did not identify those parties.

Private equity firms, other U.S. legacy carriers or even foreign airlines may express interest in a potential deal once the third-largest U.S. airline starts the evaluation work, the source said.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/11/amr-merger-candidates-idINL2E8IAG3220120711

Doug Parker has said a merger will be structured not to trigger the change in control provision of their CBA with the pilots. Hard to see how American would be the acquiring party but not trigger a change of control, but what do I know.

The acquirer? In bankruptcy? Now that's funny. Horton should have planned ahead a little better.

Don't they still have $6 billion? Maybe $4 billion? Is that more cash on hand than SWA? Just sayin...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Don't they still have $6 billion? Maybe $4 billion? Is that more cash on hand than SWA? Just sayin...

Bye Bye---General Lee

I believe Song might be down to 500k. I hope they pull it out.

Alot of good buds over there.

Oh, AA? Let me know what the debt is Genital. They are in bankruptcy for a reason.

funny if it's vigin america- every virgin's pay would increase 3-4 times. try negotiating seniority with that!

Latest resources

Back