• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR sees itself as an acquirer in potential mergers and at least five airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it's a ploy to increase their purchase price for when usairways buys them. Well not really a ploy because they kinda have to do it, but still...its a smokescreen like freebrd said. Even if they get an extra million out of usairways for the bluff, it costs them nothing to pretend they are shopping the company.

I believe Song might be down to 500k. I hope they pull it out.

Alot of good buds over there.

Oh, AA? Let me know what the debt is Genital. They are in bankruptcy for a reason.

Tanker Clown. Your postings under this name are as boring under the other name. Can you really afford $10 on first year SW pay after buying your job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't they still have $6 billion? Maybe $4 billion? Is that more cash on hand than SWA? Just sayin...

Bye Bye---General Lee

That money is owed to creditors, it can't be used for an acquisition at this point. The only way AMR can do an acquisition is after bankruptcy with new cash from an IPO. If AMR competitors don't want the company coming our of Chapter 11 in a strong position to be able to buy another airline(s) there could still be an offer from a group of carrier to break up AMR and sell it in pieces. I think a merger with LCC is still the most likely scenario but we haven't seen all of the options surface yet, this is far from over. Horton can say whatever he wants but the creditors own the company now and they will decide what happens.

I would like anyone to explain how joining with the little group of Virgins in any way helps AA be a stronger more viable carrier out of bankruptcy, or with Frontier, or Republic for that matter,,,what a joke. For some reason that none of us understand this is a game that must be played out before they merge with the only viable choice.

I would like anyone to explain how joining with the little group of Virgins in any way helps AA be a stronger more viable carrier out of bankruptcy, or with Frontier, or Republic for that matter,,,what a joke. For some reason that none of us understand this is a game that must be played out before they merge with the only viable choice.

I think a breakup is a very real possibility. I think the pieces of AA might be worth more than they could get from a single buyer of the whole airline.

I think a breakup is a very real possibility. I think the pieces of AA might be worth more than they could get from a single buyer of the whole airline.

That's nucking futs. AA wont be broken up and sold as pieces. IAG/TPG would step in long before that was a realistic possibility.

Whaddayamean little group!!??!! There's at least 72 of 'em!! That's what I heard anyway...:p

For some reason that none of us understand this is a game that must be played out before they merge with the only viable choice.

As was discussed in another thread, they must play this out ("examine all options", "exercise due diligence", etc.) before doing what they intended to do all along. This prepares their defense against accusations by disgruntled stockholders that Management failed to perform their fiduciary duty to seek out the best deal. It's standard procedure when a company is "in play", even when the outcome is predictable.

Latest resources

Back