• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR bankruptcy Likely.....so says the Associated Press

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When they start putting 'aircraft parts inventory' up for collateral for loans, then you can be sure BK will happen...

This. The last bit of financing was collateralized with "light bulbs". Next debt payment due in a few days. If they pay that with cash on hand, it will get AMR very close to the minimum cash threshold.

Their statements denying Ch. 11 around the release of 2Q results was a little choreographed.

Several stories came out after the call saying Ch. 11 "was unlikely". Then, a few days ago, articles started seeping out saying the numbers were worse than first thought or the conference call had numbers buried in it that indicated AMR was in worse shape than originally thought.

I see a pattern here.

Ch. 11 cures a LOT of AMR's problems.

TC

Your airline only exists because of a monopoly in Alaska. VA is kicking your assets in San Fran!

Once again you let emotion cloud your facts. Flying in the state of Alaska accounts for 15% of Alaska Airlines ASMs. As for VA kicking Alaska's assets in San Francisco, what are you using to support you claim?

Virgin American:

$80 million loss for 2009
$68 million loss for 2010
$50 million loss for first 2 quarters in 2011

Alaska:

$121 million profit for 2009
$250 million profit for 2010
2011 is just nuts

I'm sure VA will be fine in the long run as they are still growing and that is expensive....but you statement doesn't match the facts.

TC,

Just curious what your thoughts are as I too see bankruptcy asd a good thing, both for the company and employees.

I do think they are working on a pre-packaged deal that would freeze the "A" plan and improve the efficiencies. I also see a pay raise for the employees (10% or better on current rates.) The cost savings on dumping the pensions plus the scheduling efficioencies will more than offset any pay increases obtained.

In the end, the company will gain the needed shot of adrenaline it needs to right the ship.

Once again you let emotion cloud your facts. Flying in the state of Alaska accounts for 15% of Alaska Airlines ASMs. As for VA kicking Alaska's assets in San Francisco, what are you using to support you claim?

Virgin American:

$80 million loss for 2009
$68 million loss for 2010
$50 million loss for first 2 quarters in 2011

Alaska:

$121 million profit for 2009
$250 million profit for 2010
2011 is just nuts

I'm sure VA will be fine in the long run as they are still growing and that is expensive....but you statement doesn't match the facts.

Not so sure about that. Intel from flight path indicates we're ramping up in the Bay Area primarily to strangle VX. Now if we could only get rid of the reciprocal jumpseat agreement, their pilots couldn't get to work.

Nope. The difference between us is I'm a line Capt. at a profitable airline. Sacka is an unemployable EAL2 graduate who fantasizes about being an SWA pilot.

Latest resources

Back