Ameristar, the new Schedule, and Ethics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
New Schedule

well, looks like the 4th of september is coming up soon and the new schedule altogether.
Good luck to everyone!!

honeycomb said:
I think you have swallowed the bait, hook, line, rod and reel, bait bucket and tackle box. I doubt you have worked too many places that do and do not require such a document. Though I have never worked for such a company... my opinions are from 20 plus years in a professional aviation observation post.

But, let me give you the absolute minimum on the subject.

There is a reason why they need such a document. And, instead of fixing the problem (work enviornment, pay/qol) they force you to give loyality without any return.

Do you think that these contracts are signed by the employeer? No only the employee. It is a one way street. If you, for some reason, ask to get a guarantee on your pay for that period of time.... What do you think the company would say. If you made them sign a document that read... No provisions of pay and qol will change during my tenure of employment under this contract OR it becomes nullllll and voooooid.

If they want to protect the investment then: ONE, Pay and QOL are the best way to keep a pilot. TWO, Do a better job of interviewing. Find out why or what is motivating the pilot. Does he really want to work here or is he a type rating whore?

It is the company's fault not the pilots'.

Like I said Never Under-Estimate a Pilot and his/her ability to take a BAD Job!

Amen!! Training contracts are BS and for two types of pilots:

1. Low timers who are looking for a shortcut because they "can't flight instruct."

2. Guys with blemishes that prevent their being hired at a reputable company.

I understand both and sympathise with both however you have to sleep in the bed you made. When I had about 500 hrs I was offered a position at one of these companies and chose to continue flight instructing even though I hated it. We all have choices.

I dont think its correct saying "they cant flight instruct" maybe its because they are unwilling to make even less money and no guaranteed hours to instruct when you can take a shortcut to gain more experience. No doubt instructing is the best way to get the experience you need, but it isnt an option for everyone.

big_al said:
I dont think its correct saying "they cant flight instruct" maybe its because they are unwilling to make even less money and no guaranteed hours to instruct when you can take a shortcut to gain more experience. No doubt instructing is the best way to get the experience you need, but it isnt an option for everyone.

By "can't" I meand "don't want to." My point is that we all have choices and in the early days of our career none are easy and there are few options but nonetheless, ........well you know what I mean.

ATRCA said:
Amen!! Training contracts are BS and for two types of pilots:

1. Low timers who are looking for a shortcut because they "can't flight instruct."

2. Guys with blemishes that prevent their being hired at a reputable company.

I understand both and sympathise with both however you have to sleep in the bed you made. When I had about 500 hrs I was offered a position at one of these companies and chose to continue flight instructing even though I hated it. We all have choices.

I'm quite sure everyone instructed at some point to reach ameristar/most cargo companies.

Reputable company? like a regional? so reputable they pay $400 a week.

No one likes training contracts but most choose cargo because it pays better than the regionals and upgrade is quicker. Hence quicker career advancement. You chose to keep on slumping it in the 172 while others chose to fly a jet. It's always a trade off.

Well...Paint me pink and slap me silly. Over the last few days Ive seen the CP's office take some steps to try and make the switch to the new schedule a little easier. Im happy to see that they are working with the "out of towners" a little more...and I really do get the feeling that the powers that be are trying to make this work for the company and its pilots.

VSI

The word is official, Ameristar's new schedule is 5 on, 2 off, plus every fourth weekend you have to work through Saturday and Sunday, making that week a 12 day straight stretch. This basically works out to 32 days more work per year, with no increase in pay or vacation to compensate. This is on top of already working more days per year for less pay then anyone of our other competitors.

I used to think Ameristar was a decent place to build your time and experience to move on to bigger and better things. I even recommend some friends of mine for jobs there. There are very few faster ways to build your turbine time, most importantly your turbine PIC time.

However, it turns out that the management there is completely unethical and treats the crews like they are indentured servants. Every pilot there is signed an eighteen month, non-prorated contract. The way the contract is written Ameristar could require you to work every day of the year and there would be no relief. There is basically an implied understanding about Ameristar's schedule and bases policy. To go and change the way things have been done for over a decade in one fell swoop is very unethical. Pilots have structured their lives around this implied understanding. Everyone who is commuting is in a very difficult situation, especially if they have families. Could you imagine having to tell your wife and kids that you in a few weeks you will have to move hundreds of miles, or you will only see them three days a month?

Even pilots that already live in their bases are getting treated badly. Crews get to pick their schedule for the entire year and many have bid particular groups in order to have certain days off. Now that is all completely thrown out the window. How wrong is it cause someone to miss a special event that they may have been planning all year for.

Now if that isn't enough, the schedule changes are not even the whole story. A couple of crew members have been downgraded from captain to first officer. This is legitimate, the amount of captains needed varies with the needs of the business. However, what is completely unethical is changing someones seat and pay, but then holding them to their contract they signed when they upgraded. Sure it is completely legal according to the contract, but is that the right way to treat your people?

So this is how if you work at Ameristar you are basically an indentured servant. If they were to just lay you off, at least you would be released from your training contract and be able to look for other work. However, lets say you quit because you want to see your kids and don't want a divorce, you are on the hook for $18k plus legal expenses. They could require that you work everyday of the year and it would be completely legal.

Ameristar pilots are some of the hardest working pilots in the business. They get the job done under tough conditions with poor equipment. To try to solve the companies problems on the backs of the 135 pilots is a terrible thing to do. What about new schedules for the 121 pilots? What about pay cuts for other departments? How about cleaning out some of the inept people in dispatch, crew scheduling, and maintenance? Ameristar already has the advantage of very low crew costs, if the company cannot make it on the original pay and schedule then there are other problems.

This is the time for Ameristar pilots to stand up and say enough is enough. Wether it be outright quiting, refusing trips (max safety), or calling in the teamsters, something must be done.

Really Sux what you guys have to go through.

I heard Kalitta Charters outta KYIP has the same kinda sked. esp. for Capt's.
Off on the wkends.....don't go off till early Sat morning. Get one monday a month off. But heard their Capt's spend a lot of their off wkend's stuck on the road and the company does'nt buy them an airline ticket. Infact encourages them to jumpseat. Also if pilot leaves the aircraft on the road he has to find his own way back to crew the airplane.
So for some of their Capt's don't see home for weeks.....Also their base pay for capt's is $400 a wk. Lowest in the industry......$1.5 perdiem which gets taxed. Mileage is btw .16c-.18c. But you only get to make that when you fly.....otherwise $1600/month to spend in the "Tropical Yip"
But no training contract to sign.....
Curious what do the Lear & Falcon Capt's make.
I bet Lear guys make good cash, since the Lears fly a lot. What about the Falcon dudes?

Latest resources

Back