• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameristar Learjet Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I`m not going to use names, but I`m certainly going to miss the young man who didn`t make it. I flew with him at Ameristar, and at my job before then. We spoke last week with plans of getting together soon. The young lady also flew for my pre- Ameristar employer. I heard last night that the Doctors have her in an induced coma for the time, and aren`t letting anyone see her as of now. May God nurse her back to health, and may my friend be in a place of eternal VFR weather.

I wish at the least you would PM me the CA name, I used to fly there in 2000 and am curious if it is someone that I know.

shes still in ICU at the burn center, sounds like she may be there awhile, it was a doosey :(

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On September 19, 2003, at 1710 central daylight time, Gates Learjet 25B, twin-turbo jet transport airplane, N666TW, operating as AmeriStar flight 982 was destroyed upon collision with trees and terrain when it overran the departure end of runway 13 while landing at the Del Rio International Airport (DRT), near Del Rio, Texas. The airline transport rated captain was fatally injured, and the airline transport rated pilot acting as first officer was seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 repositioning flight. The airplane was owned by Sierra American Corporation of Wilmington, Delaware, and was being operated by AmeriStar Air Cargo, Inc., of Addison, Texas, an on-demand air taxi cargo operator. An instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan was filed for the flight which originated from El Paso International Airport (ELP) at approximately 1625, with Del Rio as its intended destination.

Flight 982 had been cleared by approach control for a visual approach to runway 13. There were several eyewitnesses to the accident. One witness, who was standing outside the FBO facilities at the airport, stated that the airplane was "high and fast" and he was expecting the airplane to execute a go-around. Another witness, located on the airport ramp, observed that the airplane was going "too fast that he thought the airplane was taking off instead of landing." A third witness, who was doing some outdoor painting and was concerned with over-spraying aircraft on the ramp, stated that he observed the wind sock at the time of the landing, and added that a slight tailwind was present when the airplane landed. Another witness observed "the airplane was going very fast" and noted that the airplane landed past the intersection for taxiway Charlie. Taxiway Charlie is located about 1,875-feet short of the departure end of the runway. The pilot of a King Air that observed the landing airplane reported the flaps appeared to be fully extended. None of the eye-witness reported hearing the sound of the engines spooling-up in an attempt to abort the landing.

The airplane overran the end of the runway, impacting the airport perimeter fence, proceeded across a roadway, impacting another fence, struck two trees, and multiple headstones. The airplane came to rest in the upright position on a measured magnetic heading of 040 degrees at an elevation of approximately 976-feet, approximately 1,600 feet beyond the departure end of the runway.

Examination of the wreckage by the NTSB investigator-in-charge revealed the all flight controls were accounted for within the debris field. The left wing was separated, and the fuselage forward of the aft pressure bulkhead was consumed by a post-impact fire. The empennage remained intact, with minor fire damage. Examination of runway 13, revealed signs of breaking action approximately 1,247-feet short of the departure end of the runway, and visible signs of skid marks were found throughout the path to the main wreckage. The drag chute was not deployed.

There was no cargo aboard the airplane at the time of the accident. Based on the estimated landing weight of the airplane, the Vref for the landing was calculated at 116 knots. No distress calls were received from the aircraft prior to the accident. Preliminary radar information revealed a ground speed of 190 knots over the approach end of runway 13.

At 1653, the DRT automated surface observation system (ASOS), reported the wind variable at 4 knots, visibility 10 statue miles, skies clear, temperature 28 degrees Celsius, dew point 17 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter reading of 30.03 inches of Mercury.

Based on the estimated landing weight of the airplane, the Vref for the landing was calculated at 116 knots. No distress calls were received from the aircraft prior to the accident. Preliminary radar information revealed a ground speed of 190 knots over the approach end of runway 13.

That has to raise a few eyebrows !

Latest resources

Back