Amerijet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you do if you want to be a FE.

Guys, Amerijet is not a bad place to work. You are flying Part 121 ,727's and getting an invaluable experience flying big jets mostly at night and sometimes IMC in mountain terrain doing approaches down to minimums. This is not an airline for the weak at heart.
Starting pay averages 40 to 60,000 ( 60 hours on the guaranty, but you get a lot of overage , duty and trip rig.
If you have the time you go to the right seat, if not you fly the panel, but flying the panel you will learn a lot from the guys/gals upfront.
Maintanance is great, we fly with few DMI's open, if any. Yes these are old tired 727's and yes they will keep you up to speed on the systems. We have revamped the training department and the new cadre of instructors are great.
True the schedule socks, you get 8 days off per month and maybe an additional 7 days off ( we call them blank days), so good chances are that you might get 15 days off a month.
We have turn-overs, some going to Jet Blue,Southwest etc.; others were commuters living out of the South Fla. area. If you don't leave within 2 hours drive from Miami, is no way that you can fly for Amerijet.
I read the comments of some ex- Amerijet pilots that were not to happy with the working conditions and I respect their opinions, but then again unless you work for the majors , Amerijet , I think, is well above the majority of part 135 cargo carriers.

Well.. am, err.. I... I mean..

Awe forget it.

Golly it sounds like the place for me. Do we get to pay for our training, as well???

Why yes you do! And better still...you won't have a job at the end of training! Instead you'll be placed into a pool of other eager beavers just waiting for another pilot to reach his limit of BS. Don't worry though, with Amerijets level of BS it shouldn't be a long wait.

While you're in the pool waiting you should practice important skills to help you once brought on line. Skills like timing bowel movements, going to sleep at four o'clock pm, buying a days worth of meals for under $10.00 and storing them in the heat all day, and crouching in the back of a car in case you get a Haiti overnight.

Good luck.

I worked there years ago, I came on just after a union scare when they raised pay quite a bit and had schedules. Then all kinds of turmoil ensued and they bagged the schedules, and went to 6 on/1 off for three weeks with a week off. That destroyed the ability to get overtime, and ruined life for those who didn't want overtime. Then they furloughed a bunch of people, and called me back after a few months, but I was ready to move on at that point, and I had another job- at Planet....... You can imagine how that went.

I enjoyed my time there, it was definitely fun and interesting flying, and they were trying to make conditions decent. With PFT, no schedule, printing your own charts, that just doesn't sound doable, although for certain people it might be OK for awhile.

I get the impression the freight companies have degenerated over the last 10 years, some a little, some like Amerijet a lot. If you want to get in the right seat of a jet you can do that at a commuter now, and frankly the left seat of a turboprop is a better place to be than the right seat of a jet for most people.

Amerijet is owned by Bayside Capitol
Gemini is owned by Bayside Capitol
Gemini may be hiring througout 2007, mostly to make up for attrition.
If you live in MIA and need to build time, Amerijet may be tolerable for you, but most folks stay away. If I had more than 1000 hours and wanted more, I'd go for a commuter where you'll get 1000 hrs a year.

Latest resources

Back