Ameriflight to the Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

qwerty

What are the chances of this? I know right now it isn't going to happen. But with a 1000hrs PIC turbine from there, can it be done? I really like their bases and would stick around if hired.

thanks

Chances are slim, unless you have a lot of connections at the majors. They would prefer someone with 121 turbine PIC time. But it can be done. You should target Southwest (or Airtran, Jetblue)... with 1000 turbine PIC time and a 737 type rating if you do well in the interview they will take you. That would be a much more realistic steping stone to the majors.

Ameriflight

Do they still operate those ancient Lances everyone's heard about? I had a friend who worked there who told some real tales.

I'd say you could, but not necessarily someplace like United or American. Maybe one of the others, as General said, such as Southwest. Southwest seems to be more open-minded to such quals in comparison to its more straitlaced competitors. You might need more turbine than the average bear to really be competitive, though.

Good luck with your plans.

Last edited:
It has been done.

I know someone that went straight from the 99 at AMF to Southwest. It's possible.

Bobby: I have seen those infamous Lances recently. They just keep on truckin'.

It can be done...

I know of 5 pilots at Alaska who came directly from Ameri-flight. There may be more as well... They were all Metro or 1900 (single pilot) Captains with lots of PIC turbine. They never flew a single 121 flight until they came here. I'm willing to bet that they all had a Silver Bullet.
It can be done.

In May 2001, I was one of the few guys that left Ameriflight for a regional. Most of the attrition then was to SWA. Some went to AWA, and a couple went to Alaska Airlines.

As for ancient Lances... I can say I've flown the oldest living Lance, serial number was 2 preceded by I-dunno-how-many zeroes.. Serial number 1 crashed during tests.

Yep, Amflight still operates the Lances out of PHX, BUR, and OAK.

As posted above, I've heard of people from Amflight going to Southwest and Alaska. I believe all of those people were Metro of 1900 Captains with over the magical 1,000PIC Turbine mark.

Ameriflight Lances

Thanks, folks. I used to hear how much trouble they had with their vacuum systems, but people were still made to fly in IMC anyway.

Also, I remember how that place went through pilots like water through a sieve. I also heard that the place provides great experience.

We have had a couple guys from where I work go to either Spirit or MidEx from flying the Beech99. Maybe they aren't majors, but still it beats going to the regionals. Like the other guys said turbine PIC is just that.

Yup,
That's sad that somebody who got 1000 pic in a metro flying cargo is just as qualified as a regional captain flying a jet. That makes no sense to me at all.

Latest resources

Back