• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameriflight interest.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nah, it's not too bad. honestly, i thought the pa31 was a tougher plane to fly.

mcjohn,
I didnt' say the panel was simpler, I said the PA31 was harder to fly. Maybe not so much now, but at comparative experience levels, I found transitioning from a 172 to a PA31 much more difficult than jumping into a bigger turbine. I think anyone who's had the pleasure of shooting multiple approaches at Burbank, Van Nuys, and Oxnard in the Cheiftain would agree. Besides, once you get a Metro airborne...pressurization, lights, steering, flaps/gear...what else is there to do?

I received a call a few days ago after I applied for the position in Puerto Rico they advertised in climbto350. She did not know anything about it. Anyway she said the only bases looking for pilots now was bur and oak I think, maybe portland. Is that true. What about bil? Is there any direct hiring into the 99?

My impression from what people are telling me is you get hired into Portland in a PA31 usually, they also hire into OAK, BUR, and PHX often but Portland is always in need.

When it is time to move up to the BE-99 you either wait a very long time or you move to SLC or BIL, this can happen in 6-8months. I have talked to 2 AMF pilots who have moved to the Metro in a little over a year.

You can get hired into the turbine but you will probably have to have significantly more time than by working your way up. Also you will only get put in a base where no one else wants to go, like Puerto Rico.

mcjohn said:
Why do you all call them Metros? I thought it was Merlin.

Merlins are the shorter version. The Metro is a 19 seater or 1348 boxer.

Latest resources

Back