American

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually

For real AA pilots furloughs go back to mid 2000 I believe.

Lowest seniority around 9700 or so.

They have no choice but to recall by early next year and with the early retirements going the way they are it could be a lot sooner.

Is the union trying to give away the farm??

Yeah, but I dont think theyll be able to pull it off this time.

We'll see.

nitrogen said:
They have no choice but to recall by early next year and with the early retirements going the way they are it could be a lot sooner.

HOHOHOHOHO!!!! ROTFL!!!!

AMR will resist recalling until the schedule is crumbling around them and they have chief pilots going door to door looking for pilots hiding from crew sched.

Until they can't hide the fact that they are cancelling flights due to crew shortages they will not recall.

Thanks for the laugh, though. ;) TC

AA717driver said:
HOHOHOHOHO!!!! ROTFL!!!!

AMR will resist recalling until the schedule is crumbling around them and they have chief pilots going door to door looking for pilots hiding from crew sched.

Haha! The AA pilots won't be hiding from crew sched. They will fly all the overtime they can get their hands on, just like they always have....at the expense of the furloughed guys. No different.

The only thing that will stop them is when they start timing out.

I wouldn't expect any recalls for several years. The APA leadership is in a concessionary mood and is probably going to give away big productivity enhancements to management. It's happening now. The working AA pilots are flying lots more trying to keep their W-2s as high as possible.

Recalls . . not likely. I'll bet a lot of AA retirees would accept a contract back in a heartbeat, if Arpey were to offer it.

Any of you other Sky Nazis out there (yes TC that means you too :p) read that report from the ACA?

I read it cover to cover yesterday and when I got home the first thing I did was sell 2/3's of my options. Doesn't look like things are going to be very rosy for AA in the near future. If ever.

Dangerkitty said:
I read it cover to cover yesterday and when I got home the first thing I did was sell 2/3's of my options.
FWIW my broker said hold them. We always complain about how wrong analysts usually are about aviation but hey, if two analysts disagree completely then one of them must be right. Maybe.

Just one man's opinion... I do believe we will see limited recalls next year due to the retirements and schedule enhancements expected to pick up next year. I don't think AMR can afford to reduce the schedule again next summer, and lose market share, all because they have crew shortages. It has always been the case that AMR likes to keep furloughees out for at least 1 year... and that will be up next summer. I think we'll see recalls by the fall of '06.

Hiring.... well, not for a while, but not as long as most folks think. I would expect as high as 40-50% bypass rate on reclls, so let's just say about 1500 will come back.. at 20-30/month we're looking at 5 years. As long as a downturn doesn't immediately happen, I think we'll see massive hiring again a la late 90s due to the HUGE # of retirements in the 2010-2020 range (700+ a year, eventually.)

Furloughs by numbers and date of hire... 2856 total on the street. Junior TWA pilot on the property Oct 88, junior AA pilot Feb 14, 2000. (Here comes another AA/TWA integration missive... duck!) Junior TWA captain is around 8500 seniority - late '85 hire - and junior AA captain is around 5000 seniority, around a '90 hire.

Hope my optimism bears fruit. We need it.

One interesting aspect of an AA recall will be the flowback issue. I agree that when AA does recall one day it will be due to a staffing crisis.
Flowbacks will be jamming the door trying to escape Eagle. It will be interesting to see if the company tries to hold them back or slow their recall to get Eagle back up to speed with 400 vacanices. That won't be taken lightly I am sure!

aa73--Not to nit-pick but junior TWA CA is early summer '88. (My friend, Dr. Evil is close to returning...:eek: ) I use to agree with you on the recall v. bypass isssue but I don't know. There are a handful at JB and AirTran, smaller numbers at SWA and FEX/UPS and a smattering like me at other decent jobs. There are a lot at Focus/Tradewinds (props to CSY) and Kalitta. S80/FO/LGA/D looks pretty good to that group. Plus the flowbies will come running as fast as they can. It will be interesting.

TWA Dude--There you go with that glass-half-full stuff again.

Now, I've got to go kick Kitty's a$$ for calling me a "Sky-Nazi"! ;) TC

Latest resources

Back