• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American/USAirways meeting?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's nothing about US Airways that American needs or wants. When you're own boat is leaking, the last thing you need is a big anchor.

There might be a few pieces of United that would fit into the AA system, but certainly nothing of US Airways.

There's nothing about US Airways that American needs or wants. When you're own boat is leaking, the last thing you need is a big anchor.

There might be a few pieces of United that would fit into the AA system, but certainly nothing of US Airways.

American might want a fuel efficient 200+ airbus fleet, a profitable PHL hub that could compliment their JFK operation, a CLT hub that would allow greater connecting options for east coast travelers, and a DCA operation with extraordinary profit potential if certain legislation passes congress. They would become the dominant player in LGA with access to a long term lease new terminal, and thier two midwest hubs would compliment US Airways route system perfectly. I don't know, its just a thought.... And Airways does have 2.3 billion dollars in the bank with little to no debt due until after 2014, that can't hurt either.

Last edited:
An earlier post...

USAirways (LCC)-
2009 projected Operating Revenue/ratio of industry [1] = $10.3 billion / 9.9%.
2009 projected Operating Expense [2] = $10.6 billion.
Current cash / ratio of 2009 Operating expense [3] = $1.5 billion / 14.0%.
Advance revenue liability / ratio of 2009 revenue [4] = $963 million / 9.3%.
Long Term debt / ratio of projected 2009 revenue [5] = $4.1 billion / 39.4%.
Long-term debt ratio of industry debt [5] = 8.4%.
Assets / ratio of industry = $7.9 billion / 5.8%.
Market Cap / ratio of industry (Q2 2009 median) = $469 million / 2.7%.
Pros: Younger fleet.
Cons: Weak cash position with limited options to improve liquidity, high unit costs ex fuel and labor, depressed market cap, ongoing integration of America West, low future bookings.
Potential risk of bankruptcy within 9 months: Very possible

PHL? YGBSM. US Airways is a management debacle. And I'm pretty sure that the APA sure as heck doesn't want anything to do with the abortion of a pilot group that US Airways consists of right now. I can't even imagine that Arpey would like to revisit another TWA disaster only 4 times worse with the antics of USAPA. And besides, AA still has 1700+ pilots on furlough. No way would I ever allow another company's pilots onto our seniority list ahead of them.

A lot of domestic capacity needs to GO AWAY in this country, not be saved. US Airways has worn out the defibulator machine,

I doubt the validity of the reported meeting at all.

Last edited:
an earlier post...

Usairways (lcc)-
2009 projected operating revenue/ratio of industry [1] = $10.3 billion / 9.9%.
2009 projected operating expense [2] = $10.6 billion.
Current cash / ratio of 2009 operating expense [3] = $1.5 billion / 14.0%.
Advance revenue liability / ratio of 2009 revenue [4] = $963 million / 9.3%.
Long term debt / ratio of projected 2009 revenue [5] = $4.1 billion / 39.4%.
Long-term debt ratio of industry debt [5] = 8.4%.
Assets / ratio of industry = $7.9 billion / 5.8%.
Market cap / ratio of industry (q2 2009 median) = $469 million / 2.7%.
Pros: Younger fleet.
Cons: Weak cash position with limited options to improve liquidity, high unit costs ex fuel and labor, depressed market cap, ongoing integration of america west, low future bookings.
Potential risk of bankruptcy within 9 months: Very possible

Site your source!!!

PHL? YGBSM. US Airways is a management debacle. And I'm pretty sure that the APA sure as heck doesn't want anything to do with the abortion of a pilot group that US Airways consists of right now. I can't even imagine that Arpey would like to revisit another TWA disaster only 4 times worse with the antics of USAPA. And besides, AA still has 1700+ pilots on furlough. No way would I ever allow another company's pilots onto our seniority list ahead of them.

A lot of domestic capacity needs to GO AWAY in this country, not be saved. US Airways has worn out the defibulator machine,

I doubt the validity of the reported meeting at all.

I am not taking sides on east vs. west, but I just wanted to point out how contradictory your two statements are that I put in bold.

You are calling a whole pilot group an abortion (very harsh) for not wanting very junior (read low length of service) west pilots ahead of their (east's) furloughed pilots with higher length of services.

Then you say no way would you allow any of another pilot group ahead of your furloughed pilot list.

So, basically, if AA and US merge and a list is formed where US pilots with less length of service are slotted above AA's furloughed pilots, and then AA pilots try to fight that, then the AA pilots would be an abortion of a pilot group, too? Is that what you are saying?

PHL? YGBSM. And I'm pretty sure that the APA sure as heck doesn't want anything to do with the abortion of a pilot group that US Airways consists of right now. I can't even imagine that Arpey would like to revisit another TWA disaster only 4 times worse with the antics of USAPA. And besides, AA still has 1700+ pilots on furlough. No way would I ever allow another company's pilots onto our seniority list ahead of them.

You mention the antics of USAPA and how the APA doesnt want to mess with them, Then you mention how you would never allow another company's pilots on a list ahead of your furloughed pilots.
Seems to me USAPA and You have similar thoughts on seniority integrations.
But I guess its different when it's you.

Latest resources

Back