• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American United Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Only took a few minutes...I guessed a few seconds but I wasn't too far off.
He had to finish that knob, he probably had to wipe his eyes clear from the pearl necklace.

1) Delta
2) American
3) United

Why Delta? They're currently in the lead and we're playing catch up. That could change. Why United last. They may actually have the most valuable assets, but they have the worst management, by far.

I should add, they're all great choices. They are ranked like I was a regional captain, several thousand hrs 121 PIC & a 4yr degree. That was a looong time ago. :)

Last edited:
I happen to think all 3 legacies have great promise. Pay is coming back up, variety in planes and routes, and stability due to consolidation. Huge retirements at all 3 legacies, so better QOL and plane advancement due to retirements is possible. Bigger planes usually means more money per hour, which will increase pay along with longevity.

When you look at all 3 though, one is proven so far with a smoother SLI transition, more competent management, and forward thinking. I see nightmare SLIs with AA and UA, and that may create some tension between current crews, not newhires most likely.

So, apply to all three and take the first one you get. After that, apply to another one if you prefer to live at a specific base. Certain LCCs (or supposed ones) will not have the upward advancement opportunities that these 3 legacies will have. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Good post

Delta
UAL
American

FWIW, Delta is the best managed of the bunch and I think I read they will lose something like 4,000 pilots to retirement in the 2020-2025 timeframe. Hopefully the Diesel 9s will be gone by then. :D UAL seems to be getting back on track with fleet expansion and the American/USAirways merger looks a bit more hazy from a pilot standpoint with regard to integration. I agree newhires won't have to worry too much at any of them. From an LCC standpoint, I'd consider Spirit as a top choice in that category with relatively low upgrade time.

Delta
UAL
American

FWIW, Delta is the best managed of the bunch and I think I read they will lose something like 4,000 pilots to retirement in the 2020-2025 timeframe. Hopefully the Diesel 9s will be gone by then. :D UAL seems to be getting back on track with fleet expansion and the American/USAirways merger looks a bit more hazy from a pilot standpoint with regard to integration. I agree newhires won't have to worry too much at any of them. From an LCC standpoint, I'd consider Spirit as a top choice in that category with relatively low upgrade time.

You have a good point about the American/US Airways seniority integration. We've voted in the process to deal with that and there is a time line, but it could drag out for another 1-1 1/2 year(s). Until then, it's as you say, "hazy," as far as seniority placement for all involved.

Ya it does seem like delta has good management. I really don't know about the other two in that regard. However I think general is right that if you are a new hire any one would be good.
I'm really excited about United getting a bunch of A350s and Dreamliners. Would be an awesome place to work for a new hire.

Choices:

1/2 (tie) United and American.
3. Delta

I'd be incredibly happy if any of them picked me up, but for me it's about one thing and one thing only: Driving to work.

I would live in Houston or Dallas forever. I could live in Atlanta or close to it. Those are my choices, in that order, and that is what it is based on. I'm 35, so I'll never be super-senior anywhere, but I don't give a crap about that. I'll sit reserve for a long time if I can sit at home and drive to work. Reserve ain't so bad if you can do that, especially senior reserve.

Planes: don't give a rat's ass
Flying: don't much care, at least to a point.
Pay and benefits: they're all pretty close anyway, some are better than others, but all pay you PLENTY to live on.

It's like real estate for me.....location location location. If I had my pick, I'd pick one of the three based SOLEY on where I want to spend the next 30 years living.

Of course, even though DL is third on the list, if they called me tomorrow I'd pack my happy-go-lucky a$$ up with a big $hit eating grin on my face and never look back, all while counting my lucky stars.

We'll see.

Choices:

3. Delta

I'd be incredibly happy if any of them picked me up, but for me it's about one thing and one thing only: Driving to work.

I would live in Houston or Dallas forever. I could live in Atlanta or close to it. Those are my choices, in that order, and that is what it is based on. I'm 35, so I'll never be super-senior anywhere, but I don't give a crap about that. I'll sit reserve for a long time if I can sit at home and drive to work. Reserve ain't so bad if you can do that, especially senior reserve.

Pay and benefits: they're all pretty close anyway, some are better than others, but all pay you PLENTY to live on.

It's like real estate for me.....location location location. If I had my pick, I'd pick one of the three based SOLEY on where I want to spend the next 30 years living.

Of course, even though DL is third on the list, if they called me tomorrow I'd pack my happy-go-lucky a$$ up with a big $hit eating grin on my face and never look back, all while counting my lucky stars.

We'll see.

Good attitude. At 35, with the number of retirements over the next 10-15 years, if you get on in the next couple years, you're going to be real senior one day. Just keep the good attitude and no matter what happens you'll be happy. Sorry if I sound like an old geezer dolling out advice, I'm not much older than you are.

Choices:

3. Delta

We'll see.

Not a bad way of looking at it, but bases change and often in unexpected ways. I do agree that any of the aforementioned airlines would be out of business though before DFW, IAD or ATL disappeared as domiciles.

Then again, there was PIT @ USAir.

That"s funny and really made me laugh... :)

Latest resources

Back