Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougarblue

I havnt seen one of these threads for a while,

If you had a choice which one would you want 1st, 2nd, 3rd? Which one will be 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the future when all the dust settles?
It seems right now Delta is ahead of the group, but once the other two airline mergers and SLIs get taken care of that things might change.
My choice of the future would be:

United
Delta
American

I Like that United has a lot of nice planes on order and a decent contract.
It seems delta flies a bunch of older planes but is forward thinking and stable.
For some reason I have always disliked American and us airways... Not sure why, probably all the disgruntled pilots I come in contact with, but will probably be a good place to get on to with all the retirements...

Whoever calls ya should be your first choice.

And if you're a mil guy NEVER quit your guard/reserve job.

I'll give you my 2 cents on United. I'm a 7th year LAX 737 F/O with United (l-cal). I think United is actually in a very good position. Talking to the big wigs, the 787 is a no sh*t game changer and we have a very unique opportunity to make some good money with it as the only US carrier with it for a few years into the future. I know they want to do some ultra-long haul flying with it out of DEN (Den-Tokyo) and out of IAH as well. Eventually they want to open a 787 LAX base and really capitalize on its very fuel efficient/revenue generating capabilities. It really makes its money when its doing long-haul stuff that no other airplane right now can match. I would suspect they'll hit LAX hard with it sooner than later (which would be awesome for me :D).

And this is non-biased. I'm far from a knob-schlobber, like Gen Lee is with DAL. Flying for the airlines is strictly a job, an enjoyable one at times, but a job nonetheless.

PS - to throw a bone to Gen Lee (because I'm sure he'll chime in within a few seconds and say getting hired at DAL is as great as having your first born child), I do think DAL is a good company...and AA will be as well once they get their shizzle in a sock.

Last edited:
Scrap dog,

Thanks for your post. They also have bases in the cities where a lot of high yield business pax fly out of and a lot of retirements.
As for Delta, I had always wanted to get on with them. I just think that when all the dust settles they might be my second choice. out of all the legacy airline pilots I talk to they most often seem to be the happiest.

Knob schlobber? ONLY in your dreams.

I happen to think all 3 legacies have great promise. Pay is coming back up, variety in planes and routes, and stability due to consolidation. Huge retirements at all 3 legacies, so better QOL and plane advancement due to retirements is possible. Bigger planes usually means more money per hour, which will increase pay along with longevity.

When you look at all 3 though, one is proven so far with a smoother SLI transition, more competent management, and forward thinking. I see nightmare SLIs with AA and UA, and that may create some tension between current crews, not newhires most likely.

So, apply to all three and take the first one you get. After that, apply to another one if you prefer to live at a specific base. Certain LCCs (or supposed ones) will not have the upward advancement opportunities that these 3 legacies will have. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Knob schlobber? In your dreams, maybe. (Probably)

I happen to think all 3 legacies have great promise. Pay is coming back up, variety in planes and routes, and stability due to consolidation. Huge retirements at all 3 legacies, so better QOL and plane advancement due to retirements is possible. Bigger planes usually means more money per hour, which will increase pay along with longevity.

When you look at all 3 though, one is proven so far with a smoother SLI transition, more competent management, and forward thinking. I see nightmare SLIs with AA and UA, and that may create some tension between current crews, not newhires most likely.

So, apply to all three and take the first one you get. After that, apply to another one if you prefer to live at a specific base. Certain LCCs (or supposed ones) will not have the upward advancement opportunities that these 3 legacies will have. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I don't at all. I see angst right now because we're going through the BS you and your beloved DAL went through a few years ago. Once the dust settles and the final list comes out somewhere between UAL's and CAL's, guys will forget the BS in a few months. We have very short memories as humans.

Cougar - happy to help...and BTW, word is hiring to continue at the new United for the foreseeable future without an end in sight. 60'ish a month. I think it may slow down post SLI completion for a few months, and then will pick right up again.

Latest blastmail from the IAH chief pilot said 9,500'ish apps on file with one added every hour. And these are all qualified guys/gals. Tough to get an interview right now. I'm trying to get one of my mil bro's in as we speak.

I don't at all. I see angst right now because we're going through the BS you and your beloved DAL went through a few years ago. Once the dust settles and the final list comes out somewhere between UAL's and CAL's, guys will forget the BS in a few months. We have very short memories as humans.

At NWA there was animosity for years between Republic and NWA pilots due to an arbitration award, and just look at the NIC award at US. Can you see those two groups flying together now? No way. But, you don't think so...... Oh-Kay. We'll see....

Bye Bye---General Lee

At NWA there was animosity for years between Republic and NWA pilots due to an arbitration award, and just look at the NIC award at US. Can you see those two groups flying together now? No way. But, you don't think so...... Oh-Kay. We'll see....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Oh no, oh no the sky is falling!!! Must be doom and gloom because hey - Republic and NWA are bitter and that must be like it is everywhere right? Yeah, ok dude. But hey you're the expert with your 17K posts (all I can say to that is wow and shake my head).

Luckily, most guys at most of the airlines are good, rational guys that accept this job as a job, not as their life like yourself. Your vantage point is the skewed 1% at the end of the bell curve with all the other guys that have zero life and eat, breathe, and sleep airline horse sh*t. Almost all the guys I've talked to at the new U want to get the list over with and move on. There are the 1% looney's like yourself at every airline that have no other life, but thankfully that's not the majority.

I'm off to get a work out in. I'm sure you'll respond 6-9 more times within the next hour...sorry if I don't respond back right away. Got other things I need to get done!

Latest resources

Back