• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American strikes again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The other week when I was trying to jumpseat on American Eagle out of ORD, I ran into the Captain at the gate and asked if I could get a ride.

His response...

"Yeah if you can make it past the gate agent, your welcome to join us"

This is very sad, indeed.

???. If you can make it past the gate agent? I hope this is the exception! As a captain, if I knew I had jumpseaters, I would always babysit the gate agent until my jumpseaters were cleared-no questions asked. I encourage others to do the same if there is a known problem.

Did you try to j/s from Canada to the US in the actual j/s or just j/s to ride in the cabin? I know the cockpit CAL and XJT j/s are off limits arriving in the USA. Better luck next time.

First off, all the American crews have been wonderful the few times I have actually gotten to J/S on AA or Eagle.

WTF is up with their gate agents and jumpseating policies?

This is the second time now I ended up in MSP when I should have been home HOURS ago thanks to American's jumpseat policies........THANKS AMERICAN! I swear my success rate on them is like 10%. WTFO??? Their gate agents are so friggin preoccupied with checking to see if you are "on the list" it is unbelievable.

When I need to j/s somewhere and the time I want to go has an American flight, I always dread going on it and I am proven right every friggin time.

ARRRRRGHHHHHH!

American gate agents hate pilots. The crews are fine, but the gate agents act like you're reaching into their purse, pulling out their wallet and pocketing $10 every time you ask for a jumpseat.

Does American still clear jumpseaters at the very last possible minute, so you're in the way, interrupting checklists and trying to find a place for your bag with all the overhead bins already closed?

American guys: thanks for the jumpseat, but it's as bad as going to the DMV.

American gate agents hate pilots. The crews are fine, but the gate agents act like you're reaching into their purse, pulling out their wallet and pocketing $10 every time you ask for a jumpseat.

Does American still clear jumpseaters at the very last possible minute, so you're in the way, interrupting checklists and trying to find a place for your bag with all the overhead bins already closed?

American guys: thanks for the jumpseat, but it's as bad as going to the DMV.

Unless the flight is WIDE open they wait until the last minute. At Eagle the new weight and balance program has put a good deal of control into the hands of the gate agent (this also increased their workload at the last minute).

AMR gate agents have been a problem for me in the past but I have no problem making the company pay for another night in the hotel when the gate agent fails to put me on for a positve space (A1) deadhead.

I'm furloughed from AA, and always found it more inviting to J/S on UAL than AA when I was trying to get to work. Now that I'm a "paying passenger" you'd think I would get a little better treatment, right? Nope. Last trip I made on AA, asked the gate agent if he could help me answer a question about my return portion of my trip. His answer, "No, I don't have time." My response, "You're kidding, right?" Him: "No, I have to get this flight closed out." My response (in my head) "Well F... You. No wonder this airline sucks and will go out of business." (out oud) "Thanks for nothing."

Maybe he knew I was a f'd AA pilot, thus the first class customer service.

To all the AA guys out there, here's hoping for the best. But from my experiences as a passenger these past 5 years, you can take that company and shove it.

The agents take some blame, but management takes more. Draconian staffing levels have created a work environment for all the agents so harsh it would turn Mother Theresa into a gangsta rappa, full of anger and hate.

Everyone's tired. Gotta save $$ you know. Ooops, wow, we're making hundreds of millions this year. Recalls? Raises? Haha!

Latest resources

Back