American Jumpseat Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA 2nd jumpseat...

Not sure I read this right. The AA 737's have 2 jumpseats up front? I rode a dozen or so flights on AA 73's and don't know where they could put a second body up front in a 737. You sure you didn't mean the 757? I could be wrong, its been a few years now.

Most 737's have two: one behind the captain on a little shelf (i.e. you walk into the cockpit, look left, and you see a seat), and the other that folds out of the wall on the right side of the entryway, so you're sitting directly behind the center console with your back a couple inches forward of the closed cockpit door (yes, there is a backrest as part of the fold-down jumpseat).

If a 737 only has one, it's because the shelf doesn't have the cushions & seatbelt/harness. The fold-down j/s is both more comfortable & a better view (& it allows the captain to slide his seat back without crushing your legs in the process -- a minor consideration for some).

sfomarc said:
Do you know there name and what base they were out of? It is true that there are a few airlines that have a multiple reciprocating jumpseat agreement with but I have never been with a captain who turned one down if a seat is open. If you can meet the captain in the jetway or a deplanning employee on a through flight, they might be able to get your message down to the captain.

SFOMarc,

Myself and this AA Capt. actually talked to the f/o who was making a coffee run before boarding. We explained the problem (3 jumpseaters and agent only allowing 2). He said, "no problem, I'll talk to the Capt. and take care of it". After he goes back down the jetway, the supervisor goes down.
It wasn't the Capt. who turned down the third jumpseater (me). It was the male supervisor in LAX that morning who went down to tell the Capt he could only take 2!! Where's he gonna show up on the paperwork he told the Capt?? The Capt. had to go along with him even though it was Bull@hi$. This Capt. was very apologietic after we got to point B and said he couldn't go against the supervisor.

So basically, if your not in SWA's excluisive club (airlines with unlimited J/S) and there are more than 2 jumpseaters you have to FIRST have a cool agent, THEN have a cool Capt. & Crew. Not an agent who's going to screw it all up like this guy did. Yeah, he's doing his job but if you ask me, this should be between PILOTS!!

That being said, this regional f/o has always had a good experience "jumping" on SWA. Crews always make me feel welcome. How ironic then that when we got to point B, this SWA Capt. deplanes and walks with me to my terminal to jumpseat on my airline (which has unlimited jumpseaters for any 121 caririer)to Missoula!!

Now I carry a SWA ID90 in my bag just in case!!

Easy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back