American Jumpseat Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wil

I'm listed through the non-rev phone number, the flight is wide open and I walk up to the counter with a smile and "Good morning, ma'am". This lady fires back that they already have a jumpseat rider in the cockpit (an IP giving a line check) and that I can't go. I tell the wicked witch of the east that I'm an off-line jumpseater and I can't ride up front anyway. She said that since the jumpseat was occupied that I could not take an open seat. I said thank you (the IP was not happy and did stick up for me) and listed for a later flight. Can someone tell me the policy for American and Eagle? BTW, every open seat on ASA is a "jumpseat" so welcome aboard!!

Been there, done that. I feel your pain. I normally jumpseat on AA & Eagle. First time I saw an RJ taxi out with 20 seats open in the back, but one Check Airman in the cockpit, it felt like I got a knife in the gut. (This was after waiting about an hour for the flight. The gate agent knew all along that the jumpseat was full, but never told me until boarding time.) On a one jumpseat aircraft, if an AA jumpseat is filled with a Check Airman, you are SOL--unless the gate agent wants to bend the rules and be nice (at some personal risk, I've been told). I've run into a couple of AA gate agents who seem to delight in denying the jumpseat and this is an easy way to do it. Now in all fairness, this has only happened a couple of times in the almost 200 times I've jumpseated on AA. Not bad odds, but it happens. Fortunately, I haven't seen these particular gate agents in a long time. Perhaps they moved on to "greener" pastures. Last time there was a Check Airman on the jumpseat the agent told me as soon as I showed up so I could work alternate arrangements ASAP, instead of waiting around for an hour (ref the previous example). Unfortunately, those are the rules and you've just have to grin and bear it. The fact that your airline grants unlimited jumpseats does not change their rules.

For every jumpseating horror story, I have an example of somebody who went out of their way to help out a jumpseating pilot.

To all the gate agents who understand our plight and try to help us out--Thank You!! Thank You!! Most of the gate agents are very professional and do the best they can to accomodate us within the rules. I've run into many more helpful agents than pr!cks.

To all the pilots who go the extra mile to help out a bud--Thank You!! Thank You!!

I'm a big believer in jumpseat karma. I do everything I can to help out jumpseaters--as a jumpseater and a captain. I've gone through alternate cities to allow another jumpseater (over whom I had priority--based on arrival time) to go through my original connecting city while I opted for a different connection. Hey, we are all in this together and we have to do whatever we can to help each other get to and from work. Fortunately, jetBlue has a very open policy that helps me do that. (What other company will allow pilots to ride FA jumpseats?) I'll do everything I can to prevent leaving ANYBODY behind. When you come aboard my flight I'd like you to stop by the cockpit so I can say "Thanks for flying jetBlue!" Since I often jumpseat on AA, I make the extra effort to tell AA jumpseaters how how happy I am to return the favor because I appreciate their efforts to accomodate me when I jumpseat on them.

The good karma has paid off several times--like the time the United captain had the gate agent pull the jetway back to the aircraft after the door had been closed. Despite already being bumped, at the last minuted the FAs discovered one seat left, and they went the extra effort to give it to me. Or how about the time that the same pr!ck gate agent from the RJ example above delighted in the fact that another jumpseater had already beat me to the 0530 flight? Well this other jumpseater (seeing what the gate agent was trying to do) whipped out a pass for himself so I could take the jumpseat slot--much to the chagrin of the gate agent! Thank You!! Thank You!!

Karma, Golden Rule, "What goes around comes around." Call it what you like, but we've all gotta do whatever we can to help each other out. If a gate agent is following the letter of the law, don't blame them. They didn't make the rules. Just look for another way. Happy jumpseating!

Last edited:
Thanks dgs- I to believe in JS karma!!For the record AA has been great to me and this "supervisor" caught me off guard! Jumpseat safe all-

wil said:
Thanks dgs- I to believe in JS karma!!For the record AA has been great to me and this "supervisor" caught me off guard! Jumpseat safe all-

Have to admit some of those AA/AE agents are soo rude.
How embarrassing. Ground nAAtzi's.

dgs said:
For every jumpseating horror story, I have an example of somebody who went out of their way to help out a jumpseating pilot.

To all the gate agents who understand our plight and try to help us out--Thank You!! Thank You!! Most of the gate agents are very professional and do the best they can to accomodate us within the rules. I've run into many more helpful agents than pr!cks.

To all the pilots who go the extra mile to help out a bud--Thank You!! Thank You!!

I'm a big believer in jumpseat karma. I do everything I can to help out jumpseaters--as a jumpseater and a captain.......
The good karma has paid off several times--like the time the United captain had the gate agent pull the jetway back to the aircraft after the door had been closed. Despite already being bumped, at the last minuted the FAs discovered one seat left, and they went the extra effort to give it to me. Or how about the time that the same pr!ck gate agent from the RJ example above delighted in the fact that another jumpseater had already beat me to the 0530 flight? Well this other jumpseater (seeing what the gate agent was trying to do) whipped out a pass for himself so I could take the jumpseat slot--much to the chagrin of the gate agent! Thank You!! Thank You!!

Karma, Golden Rule, "What goes around comes around." Call it what you like, but we've all gotta do whatever we can to help each other out. If a gate agent is following the letter of the law, don't blame them. They didn't make the rules. Just look for another way. Happy jumpseating!

And like the time a few weeks ago that an AA Captain split the cost of a Southwest reduced ticket with this regional f/o because he and another AA Capt. had arrived earlier to claim the 2 jumpseats. It was worth it to me because I had to get to work and it was worth it for him so he could have an extra attempt at getting home to Montana. A true class act and gentlemen this guy was. (the other Capt. did offer his ID90 but it expired and the supervisor wouldn't take it). Thanks again if your out there. You know who you are.

P.S. By the way, this SWA supervisor actually went down the jetway to INSTRUCT the SWA Capt. to only take 2 jumpseaters even though there were lots of seats. :confused: :mad:

P.S. By the way, this SWA supervisor actually went down the jetway to INSTRUCT the SWA Capt. to only take 2 jumpseaters even though there were lots of seats

SWA has always taken unlimited jumpseaters....

JetBlue jumpseating

As if JetBlue was not already setting the new standard on operational efficiency, customer service, and employee relations, I must say that I have never felt more welcome as an off-line jumpseater than when I have hitched a ride home with the Blue Crew. Everyone from the ticket and gate agents, to the FAs and Pilots always seem genuinely interested in getting me on-board. I have always appreciated the FA jumpseat being available to me, and have never hesitated to put on a pair of blue gloves to help the crew get the aircraft prepped for the next flight (I know this practice has been debated on this board--no need to revisit). I even had a JetBlue Captain set me up with one of the FAs (but that story is for a different kind of board)!

I will oftentimes go out of my way to commute on JetBlue because I enjoy the experience each and every time I ride. Just wanted to say THANKS to all of the JB crews for "bringing humanity back to air travel" (for non-revs too)!

> SWA has always taken unlimited jumpseaters....

Not exactly. The policy says 2, except with a few carriers (Horizon, ATA, America West, ___, ___) who do get unlimited. Some captains may exercise discretion to allow more than that, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

Of course, there are some pretty exceptional captains out there... :)

Snoopy58 is correct. With WN, it all depends on who you work for, and of course the individual captain and agents working the flight. I've been jumpseating WN quite a bit recently in and out of LAX; a few months ago I was turned down because there was already a SkyWest and UAL pilot signed up. It was the agents decision, I never even got to see the captain. But just last month, the WN agent and captain were very generous and let three jumpseaters on (2 SkyWest and 1 UAL). I guess you just have to hope for the best. The frustrating part is that my company has unlimited jumpseats, but WN doesn't reciprocate with us like they do with HP, TZ, QX, etc. But with that being said, I always appreciate the ride and I even try to help the FAs clean up after the flight. (They look at me like I'm insane). Everyone is welcome aboard my airplane, always happy to repay a favor.

Latest resources

Back