• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

American Frowns on US Air Merger
By Ted Reed 06/15/10

DALLAS (TheStreet) -- Airline industry buzz has it that American and US Airways ought to merge, but American CEO Gerard Arpey is apparently not buying it.

"At a certain point, [you] have enough scale," Arpey said Tuesday at a Bank of America Merrill Lynch investor conference. "[Then] you're just creating more scale over and over again. That's not something we see as being shareholder-friendly."

Arpey, who historically has been reluctant to discuss potential merger scenarios involving American, was responding to an analyst's question referencing American's purchase of TWA, a deal seen as a response to United's(UAUA) 2000 attempt to merge with US Airways. The deal would have made United larger than American, and American acted to prevent that from happening -- with notably unfavorable results, since it gained nothing but headaches from acquiring TWA. The question, essentially, was: "You bought TWA, so don't you feel threatened today?"

Arpey responded by saying, as he has repeatedly, that consolidation is good for the airline industry. Then he reiterated his principal point of the past several months, which is that American has put together a network with hubs in the four largest U.S. metropolitan areas -- New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas -- as well as London, Tokyo and Miami, the best hubs for Europe, Asia and Latin America.

"We believe that we have a strong network," Arpey said. "It is not only strong, it's strong in the right places. Couple that with partners we have in the most important regions around the world, and I think our network can stand up today to any network."

In that context, what would US Airways' hubs in Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Phoenix add? Arguably, not very much. However, it is also true that Charlotte is one of only two Southeast hubs. Avondale Partners analyst Bob McAdoo argues that American and the Oneworld alliance need the trans-Atlantic feed available in Philadelphia.

Additionally, US Airways executives believe that the carrier, while it does not need a merger to be profitable, will at some point become a desirable partner for one of the big three U.S. carriers.
Meanwhile, American CFO Tom Horton noted at the Tuesday conference that the planned merger between United and Continental(CAL) would have only minimal impact on American in two key cities. "United doesn't add much to Continental in New York, and Continental doesn't add much to United in Chicago," Horton said. "It really doesn't change much in any of those markets."
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.

Bye Bye--General Lee

American Frowns on US Air Merger
By Ted Reed 06/15/10

Avondale Partners analyst Bob McAdoo argues that American and the Oneworld alliance need the trans-Atlantic feed available in Philadelphia.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So, apparently, Mr. McAdoo loaded up on USAir stock.:rolleyes:

AA doesn't need feed into PHL. If you can feed PHL, you can feed JFK. And, how much O/D traffic comes out of there? Not enough to take on the headaches that come with using PHL labor.

No, if there's so much "feed" from PHL to Europe, we'll be happy to 'allow' Delta to acquire USAir and 'benefit' from that feed. Knock yourself out, General.

;)
TC

So, apparently, Mr. McAdoo loaded up on USAir stock.:rolleyes:

AA doesn't need feed into PHL. If you can feed PHL, you can feed JFK. And, how much O/D traffic comes out of there? Not enough to take on the headaches that come with using PHL labor.

No, if there's so much "feed" from PHL to Europe, we'll be happy to 'allow' Delta to acquire USAir and 'benefit' from that feed. Knock yourself out, General.

;)
TC

No thanks, but DL would like the LGA slots. That would be enough....

Bye Bye--General Lee

No thanks, but DL would like the LGA slots. That would be enough....

Which brings up a question. Since I've been ( thankfully) out of the "legacy" airline world for 10-12 years now, I don't remember ( nor did I care at the time)....is JFK a slot controlled airport ala ORD, DCA, LGA ?

USAir has a couple of decent assets. PHL is a top 5 O/D market. Their slot portfolio in DCA is another. A reasonable, if not spectacular, fair weather connecting hub in CLT. Fair network to the Carribean. Fair number of European routes.

None of which AMR needs. In the east, they've got NYC, and MIA, which, as a hub to SoAM, simply prints money. Unlike United, AMR has traditionally never needed, or desired to compete in the low yield N/S market on the east coast. They don't have to, since they already have 4 of the top 5 O&D population centers as hubs (LAX, NYC, ORD and DFW). MIA is also in the top ten.

USAir's last chance for a reasonably workable merger was UAL. There was as least SOME benefit to merging UAL's west coast emphasis/Pacific ops with USAir's East Coast/European ops.

Now there is nothing that looks like it would work. AMR doesn't want to play. Without a high yield base, things could get tough. PHX is a low yield haven. CLT doesn't have the O&D to stand on it's own. N/S routes to Florida is fraught with VERY low yields, and USAir is conceeding it's typical O&D maket in NYC.

The east coast is tough. This as been true since even before deregulation when EAL and National were duking it out. The west is tough because of SWA and Frontier.

USAir COULD make a play for ALK to flesh out a west coast op, but the price would be WAY more than they could afford. I'm not sure that ALK wants to be a national player in that way, and they seem pretty bound to DAL at the moment.

Just some random A.net like babbling. I could be, and very likely, completely wrong.

Nu

It's fun since i don't work there to imagine the integration of that mess with AA.

how many FI threads would that produce....

I'm not sure that ALK wants to be a national player in that way, and they seem pretty bound to DAL at the moment.

Any airline can make a play for Alaska. Correct me if I am mistaken, but Alaska is only involved with Delta as a codeshare....nothing more, nothing less...there has been nothing to suggest that Alaska has ever entertained a buyout/merger offer from Delta.

None of which AMR needs. In the east, they've got NYC, and MIA, which, as a hub to SoAM, simply prints money.

Nu

AMR 4th qtr loss $415 million - 1st qtr loss $505 million ( worse than 1 year ago)

$920 million loss in 6 months?

Times change.

Any airline can make a play for Alaska. Correct me if I am mistaken, but Alaska is only involved with Delta as a codeshare....nothing more, nothing less...there has been nothing to suggest that Alaska has ever entertained a buyout/merger offer from Delta.
I think you're right, but what does Alaska give you that you can't get on your own without the headaches.

Latest resources

Back