• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

American flying in Canada for Canadian Airline

Gas Man

I fly RJ's!
Total Time
I live in the US and have a FAA ATP and was wondering if I got a job with a Canadian airline, what I need to do with reguard to my FAA licence, if anything.
Also, is there some sort of work permit, eh?

amcnd

Total Time
You need a work permit to work in Canada. Find a hot canadian wife...I did!! then get your Canadian ATP (20 Question test. $100) and a new medical ($100).. Good luck finding a good job up there!! they are very very hard to find!! Plus you pay 40% tax!!! ouch!!

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
Yep, in the same process, already have my Canadian citizenship; I'm working on the ATP conversion. Hoping it might translate into a job with Air Canada here someday in case this whole mess here goes to pot.

Most Canadian pilots I've spoken with have seconded remarks about the highly competitive, small job market however. I think there's a lot more canucks who fly in the USA than vice-versa.

amcnd

Total Time
If you have twin ottter time you may get hired on the West Coast flying from YYJ-YVR. very hard market to find a good stable job. If you have lots of heavy time and lots of PIC time there are some good... not very stabel jobs out there.

T2Bus

Aircooled By T2
Total Time
Much
And...you have to learn to speak Canadian. Just kidding.... I love the place.

atpcliff

Total Time
Hi!

U don't have to marry a Canuckian. We had a guy who got his landed immigrant status, and he and his wife were US.

I am doing the same thing. Saw a Falcon 20 job in YYZ, but can't do it as no status or Canadian licenses. My CEO is from YYZ.

cliff
GRB