• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Eagle Seminar in Raleigh

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, sharp or not, it does fit the thread, it was about AE having trouble finding pilots. The college degree will not make much difference in the hiring process.

Oh God, here we go again!!!

yes DAL, and about 9 others still have a glut of applicants and can be a picky as they desire. However the other 175 companies to include SWA, AirTran, NJ, JB, do not make the 4 yr degree a show stopper. Is it time to start a full blown thread on the disadvantages of going to college full time when pursuing a pilots career?

Is it time to start a full blown thread on the disadvantages of going to college full time when pursuing a pilots career?

Given the volatility of the industry (furloughs, bankruptcies, etc.), the ever-present risk of losing your medical, the value of having a 4-year degree just as a career fallback alone makes it a smart move. I'd hate to lose my medical in mid-career and not have any qualifications for any other career.

College Degree

A four year degree will give you some options, just in case you get tired of working for peanuts.

Degree does not equal employment

Depends on what the degree is in, some of fastest growing degrees like acting, photography, art, give you few options. Most pilots get degrees in aviaiton, what option does that give you, except staying in aviation

Last edited:
College Degrees

I got my degree in business/finance, have not decided to go for the MBA or not.

You are right, many pilots do get degrees in the aviation industry. I decided not to get a degree in aviation, just in case I would like to work in a industry other than aviation. Airline management knows exactly what they can get away and what they cannot get away with.

Latest resources

Back