American Eagle & Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pacsky72

Posted on the aepilots website on the Q&A page. It is however, aptly named the "Rumor" page.

Question: Upgrades? (1-05-06) Can we assume that a 5 captain per month upgrade is what we will see for the rest of 2006 or are there any plans to grow. I know this is wishful thinking, but I've been here 6.5 years and have never had to opportunity to upgrade. I need some hope.

Response: At this point we are not planning on much growth for Captains. We are actually overstaffed in the ERJ and CRJ Captains. We will be filling any attrition on the ATR and SF3 Captains though. However, when we get word that AA is going to begin recalling, we will be posting many CA vacancies, so as not to fall behind as they begin to flow back to AA. What I’m being told at this time, is they are anticipating recalls in 4th quarter 2006. So, we will begin posting about 2 months ahead of that, to allow for training time.

6.5 years? Wow, that's longer than the guys upgrading here at QX now. Surprised to see we're not the only ones with loooong upgrade times, since it seems to be the major "gripe" regarding Horizon.

I will believe it when I see it! First the recalls were going to begin 4Q of 2005, then it was spring of 2006, then summer of 2006, and now 4Q of 2006. I unfortunately doubt it!

I was a 11/99 new hire. I was probably going to hold SCA in the OCT '01 bid. All I have to tell you is the grass IS greener on the other side. All of my bunch of friends that left after 9/11 have since upgraded at other airlines. One is already a line holding captain on a CRJ I am a line holder on a DHC-8 (captain). AMR is going to give the most optimistic possibility in a range of possibilities. I would get out if you could. Right now you are like a deer in headlights, afraid to leave and give up 6 years of seniority fearing that it'll all be better the day after you resign. Don't be on this board in 1/07 saying that AMR now says that recalls are likely this summer. Recalls are not the holy grail that you are hoping for. First, not all recalls are Flowbacks, Second, they may decide not to fill the positions, third, not all recalls are going to happen at once, when they say recalls in 4th quarter '06, they could mean they are bringing 20 guys back to cover attrition. Right now you are in an environment where everyone after 9/11 came to the same conclusion you did (to stay) so asking for advice in the cockpit won't help you. I'm not saying to quit Eagle, but I am saying that you need to get back into the flying community and get your head out of the Eagle quick sand so that you will hear about other opportunities. I'm not criticizing you...I was there my brother.

good luck

Last edited:
Where do you suggest we go? Mesaba? Furloughing. Comair? Furloughing. ExpressJet? Possibly furloughing soon. Independence? Chapter 7.

I guess Mesa is hiring.

Sadly, I agree with igneously2 on the recall issue.

In the last batch of furloughees from AA, very few of the flowbacks were non-TWA people. Same for my group (4/04). It wasn't until you got below the staple point that a lot of people took the flowback.

Right now, APA is becoming willing to accept Pref Bidding. With the contract coming up again, I believe you will see PB on the property to "save" the retirement. With PB and (what we called) 'demand staffing' you will see a need for several hundred fewer pilots due to decreased reserve staffing alone.

Bottom line: I'm skeptical of the Q4 '06 estimate for recalls. I'm eligable to retire in 2.5 years. I'm 50/50 on whether I'll get recalled before I can retire.

I know it's hard to give up more than a year of seniority (trust me, I stayed at TWA 15 years waiting for things to happen...) but if you are an FO, I'd seriously look at NJA or Citation Shares. If you are a CA, try anywhere that pays what you can live on. The QOL at ANY AMR company sucks compared to the rest of the world. You'd be surprised, no, stunned.

Good luck to all of you, I sincerely hope it works out for everyone.TC

In fact, I expect with PBS there will likely be more furloughs. I think they are probably telling the eagle guys about 06 recalls to give them some light at the end of the tunnel. Yup, there is a light at the end of that tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer and longer. If you get out your telescope you just might catch a few photons.

labbats said:
Where do you suggest we go? Mesaba? Furloughing. Comair? Furloughing. ExpressJet? Possibly furloughing soon. Independence? Chapter 7.

I guess Mesa is hiring.

You are being too short-sighted by only looking at a lateral move to other regional airlines. I don't know maybe that is the only type of flying you want to do, I am sorry if that is the case. Eagle does an excellent job of preparing you for your next job, at least they did with me. You may need to invest a little hard earned money on an ATP if you don't already have one. You might be suprised what is out there with some 121 jet time and the correct credentials.

Just as a FYI for the Eagle guys and gals. A 6 year pilot who was displaced on the bid in November 04 and decided to quit and go elsewhere to be a captain, starts at Continental January 31.

Latest resources

Back