• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Eagle ATR question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Once you get through the 2000 hires it will start going pretty quick. The Jet upgrade is coming down pretty quickly now to with all the flush backs leaving. This will mean that the upgrade time between Jet CA and T/P CA will start to shrink...which means people will start holding out for the Jet. Being junior in SJU is not pretty so not many people are willing to do it. In the pre 9/11 days SJU went WAY junior - and that was when you had a chance to eventually get DFW on the ATR.

It seems like a no-brainer for you to bid BOS. SJU sounds cool but it's under flag rules so the vast majority of the overnights are short and lots of two day back to backs and long hikes between customs and the ramp.

Don't be discouraged - nobody has any idea how long it is going to take for you to upgrade. When I was hired in 1999 SJU CA was 14 months with most guys waiting for 18 months to hold JFK on the Saab. My buddy who was hired with me has only recently been senior enough to hold Captain with over 7 years of seniority (he's waiting for something on the East Coast). It can go down just as quickly also. If you are willing to take a summer bid and go to the rock I imagine it will be pretty quick for you. If you have never been to SJU I suggest you take a little vacation down there - even though it is technically a part of the U.S. - it is truly 3rd world.

Later

One thing to remember....

What you are flying as an FO has absolutely no bearing on what you can bid for a captain seat.

You get hired and you get a seniority number. Regardless of what you are flying if that number can hold a captain seat on any aircraft you can bid it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back