Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Any Eagle guys know what the hire date is of the Junior Capt at MIA and SJU? How long is reserve for new hires in these bases? I have an offer and need to choose either the ATR in MIA/SJU or the EMB in BOS. Either way I'll probibly take the first chance to upgrade which will be the ATR for me (want to stay on the east coast).

Any Eagle guys know what the hire date is of the Junior Capt at MIA and SJU? How long is reserve for new hires in these bases? I have an offer and need to choose either the ATR in MIA/SJU or the EMB in BOS. Either way I'll probibly take the first chance to upgrade which will be the ATR for me (want to stay on the east coast).

You can upgrade from Jet FO - Turboprop CA.

Pick which base you want most, also consider 2nd year pay. Jet FO pays better than Turboprop FO.

However,

Turboprop FO QOL does get better faster than Jet FO.

To get more insight I would check out www.eaglelounge.com. There is a section for newhires/ poolies etc...

Where's home? Do you want to commute? Second year pay? Reserve time?

Upgrade should not be part of the thought process at this point.

Go to eaglelounge

junior capt in the ATR is about 5/2000. thats in SJU, MIA is a little more senior. Don't worry about upgrade as far as your base selection. Take the base according to your commute now, even better if you don't commute. First year pay is the same for the prop and the jet, but second year the jet pays about $7/hr more. Reserve time in SJU will probably be almost nothing and a few months in MIA and BOS. LGA is about a year of reserve.
where are you going to commute from??

junior capt in the ATR is about 5/2000. thats in SJU, MIA is a little more senior. Don't worry about upgrade as far as your base selection. Take the base according to your commute now, even better if you don't commute. First year pay is the same for the prop and the jet, but second year the jet pays about $7/hr more. Reserve time in SJU will probably be almost nothing and a few months in MIA and BOS. LGA is about a year of reserve.
where are you going to commute from??

Thanks. I'll be living near BOS. I will take the first opportunity to upgrade when the time comes which would probably be to the ATR (don't want to move to LAX or DFW). Just wondering what the junior Capt is between the jet in BOS/LGA and the Junior Capt in MIA/SJU. If its more than a year wait for the Jet I would take the upgrade in the ATR then switch to the jet when possible.

Thanks. I'll be living near BOS. I will take the first opportunity to upgrade when the time comes which would probably be to the ATR (don't want to move to LAX or DFW). Just wondering what the junior Capt is between the jet in BOS/LGA and the Junior Capt in MIA/SJU. If its more than a year wait for the Jet I would take the upgrade in the ATR then switch to the jet when possible.

Upgrade is years off. . . don't even fret over that, you will be able to upgrade into any equipment, regardless of what equipment you are in as an FO.

If I were you, FO EMJ BOS would be quite appealing.

By the time your number comes up for upgrade, BOS may no longer be a pilot base and the last ATR may have long been retired. Too many things will change before you need to start losing sleep over upgrade.

Last edited:
If you are going to Eagle for the upgrade you are going to the wrong airline for the wrong reason. I think that upgrade times are going to drop, they are currently at about the 7 year mark, and may in the next two years drop to the 4-5 year mark, but there are so many 4-7 year FO's, that they will have no trouble filling upgrade classes.

If you are going to Eagle for the upgrade you are going to the wrong airline for the wrong reason. I think that upgrade times are going to drop, they are currently at about the 7 year mark, and may in the next two years drop to the 4-5 year mark, but there are so many 4-7 year FO's, that they will have no trouble filling upgrade classes.

Definitely. Also, go where you can live in base. It makes life ohh sooo much better. Reserve wont even be as bad. I think our junior lineholder in BOS now has about 5 months seniority.

Latest resources

Back