Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the ATA

Pressured by unions, three airlines drop voluntary safety program
Safety advocates are criticizing the waning of the Aviation Safety Action Program, an initiative designed to help carriers and government regulators identify potential safety hazards by allowing pilots to report their own mistakes without fear of punishment. The voluntary program has been shown to help lower accident rates, but American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and Comair have all dropped out of the program following disagreements with their unions, which accused the companies of unfairly punishing pilots. "The relevant players need to do whatever is necessary to ensure that these programs remain active and vital safety tools," says National Transportation Safety Board member Robert Sumwalt.
USA TODAY(12/4)

https://www.smartbrief.com/subscrib...id=AB09C9C7-6957-4C98-9A56-BCF1F40F05FE&style=

So you all think the ASAP program is anonymous?

Anonymous my butt. The companies might "de-identify" the reports, but when they need the info on a specific incidence they crack the case.

Lets see, we, the company, need the info on flight #xxxx on date xx/xx/xx which was involved in xx type of problem. Bingo, out spits, the entire story and then the hanging begins. The C.P. reads the report and says, now I know the idiot responsible after checking the monthly schedule and that days trips and says, I think we are going to have to check that pilots manual revisions and see if he needs two weeks off without pay.

File away at your own risk, it no jeopardy until your caught.

Not exactly how it works. At least not if you've got a decent ASAP MOU in your contract.

Acting FAA chief Robert A. Sturgell said in a speech last month that voluntary disclosure programs such as ASAP are critical for improving safety.
"It is disheartening to see some of our carriers and pilot unions abandoning these programs at a time when we need them the most," Sturgell said. "I encourage you to separate safety from the labor issues and put these programs back in place."

I would think that if the FAA wanted it to continue, they could mandate that a company must allow it remain as it is now. They mandate enough other things, so why not this.

Not exactly how it works. At least not if you've got a decent ASAP MOU in your contract.

Yea, companies never violate contracts. NOT!

I remember years ago, when a new aircraft design came out and there were a number of switches on the overhead panel with the same shape and style.

A pilot accidentally shut an engine down.

The company downloaded the aircraft's new style data and then read the accompanying ASAP report. The company knew exactly what happened.

Then the information with the pilots identify floated around the crew room and everyone else knew without ever reading a "de-identified" report.

Latest resources

Back