• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

capt. megadeth

Metal Momma!
Did anyone else see this?

It was about some chooch that apparently got "profiled" by an American crew with two other Muslim looking guys. Basically, the Portugese guy got detained for 2 hours with the other 2 guys because of suspicious actions. Well, the men didn't get to reboard and got a ticket refund.

In any case, OF COURSE (no surprise herde).....guess what happened next?

Yep.....the Portugese guy sued American. He got awarded $400K. I wish I could make $200K an hour!

Anyways, afterwards, they had a "panel" telling the news lady their opinions on profiling. Here's the kicker:

One of the dudes goes "Well, you just cannot have captains making these kinds of decisions." and "That's the problem you run into when you give crews some power....it goes to their head." Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa. OMG, I wanted to slap that guy. Anyway, the news lady was playing devil's advocate and seemed to be on the crew's side. In any case, I thought his comments were hilarious (in the sense that the guy needs to put the crack pipe down) and I just couldn't wait to share them with y'all.

I just watched it. Based on the story the guys were profiled for their race. Yes the captain is the final authority as to who flies on his plane but what was the captains reason for kicking then off the plane? Flying while Portugese? Not good enough in my book. You can't just kick someone off a plane, without provocation and there be no ramifications.

mosdef--On a 121 aircraft, the pilot-in-command is the final authority on security matters. He CAN throw off whoever the F*** he wants. He'd better be able to justify it afterward--and, from what I've read, he can in this instance.

This is a case of the lawyers getting a bunch of droolers on a jury who can't understand anything more complex than a segment on "Real World" who feel sorry for this dude. TC

I just watched it. Based on the story the guys were profiled for their race. Yes the captain is the final authority as to who flies on his plane but what was the captains reason for kicking then off the plane? Flying while Portugese? Not good enough in my book. You can't just kick someone off a plane, without provocation and there be no ramifications.

And that is why hopefully you are not a captain. The CAPTAIN can kick anyone of an airplane if he thinks it is a safety issue. you don't know what the captain was thinking and you can't play monday morning quaterback and second guess a capt. decision.

And that is why hopefully you are not a captain. The CAPTAIN can kick anyone of an airplane if he thinks it is a safety issue. you don't know what the captain was thinking and you can't play monday morning quaterback and second guess a capt. decision.

Sounds like you are.

FJ

I understand that a captain can kick anyone off the plane he wants. My point is not captains authority. The 3 men did not fly on his flight. Captains authority remained intact. The guy sued and won. I don't know all the reasons for the captain kicking the guy off the flight but obviously it did not turn out favorably for the company the captain works for (AA). So the question is one of judgement. Did the captain exercise good judgement?

I'd hate to see captains authority eroded based on this case and I'd don't want paying customers denied the right to fly based on superficial suspicions.

If some of you that have more details (captains side) about this case I'd like to hear it.

I'd like to hear the Captains' side. It's a big deal to kick someone off. I don't know any captain who would do it on baseless suspicion. Pasqaul must've done something.
400K for profiling? Is that the going rate? Did AA ruin his livelihood somehow?
Here's an idea...Bus only for shifty looking foreingners boarding with their worldly belongings in Hefty trashbags and in need of a bath.
This is getting ridculous....

Let me make sure I understand you correctly. You think that either the TSA or some gate agent is in a better position to determine if these pax were a security threat? Let me tell you mosdef, the TSA is more interested in trying to identify pilots with alcohol on their breath and the gate agent is more worried about getting the flight off their gate so they can run outside for their next smoke break.

Here's another way to do this....

You don't have to kick anyone off. Just refuse to move the airplane if certain individuals are on board. The captain or anyone else is still exercising his authority.

Just kidding.

But you will notice that only the airline got sued, thankfully.

Latest resources

Back